New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS Maverick or Not

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

heavymen

heavymen is on a distinguished road

Is it a good idea to upgrade from Lion to Maverick? I have read some not-so-good reviews about Maverick. I am tempted to upgrade….. Should I? Let me add that I am very happy with my Lion….

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Which Mac do you own? Once we know that, we can say whether or not Mavericks will even run on your Mac.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Rule one ignore 90% of what you read on the 'net. If your Mac can handle Mavericks, it is a faster operating system than Lion.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
heavymen

Thanks MacInWin/harryb2448

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina Display) that I bought in Jan 2013.

Processor - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
HDD - 512 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
OS X 10.8.5

Last edited by heavymen; 04-23-2014 at 06:18 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all

That should run Mavericks nicely! Mavericks is, IMHO, stable and quick.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
heavymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
That should run Mavericks nicely! Mavericks is, IMHO, stable and quick.

Do you advise a clean install or update from the App store…
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Many are advising a clean install. I did a clean install when I moved from a regular hard drive to an SSD. Prior too that I think I installed Mavericks via an upgrade. Haven't had problems either way.

If you are experiencing any kind of system hiccups try a clean install. Otherwise you are probably OK with an upgrade. In both cases the installer comes from the app store.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

I've done both and both seem to work well. The one big advantage of a backup/clean install/restore is that it takes care of any disk fragmentation that may have built up over time.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

I always do a clean install. Download Mavericks and make a bootable 8GB USB thumb drive and use it like a normal DVD, hold down 'C' etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
heavymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Many are advising a clean install. I did a clean install when I moved from a regular hard drive to an SSD. Prior too that I think I installed Mavericks via an upgrade. Haven't had problems either way.

If you are experiencing any kind of system hiccups try a clean install. Otherwise you are probably OK with an upgrade. In both cases the installer comes from the app store.
Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
heavymen

Update:

I upgraded to Mavericks 2 days ago without any issues at all. The download took roughly 14mins, and the install ran for about 25mins. Rebooted, and all has been well (knock wood).

I notice improved speed in the performance, as well as the new features.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Wait till you check out how much more battery life you have now. I got an extra HOUR off this old 2009 unit!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spinning Beachball Won't Go Away | Mavericks 10.9.2 bug? »