New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No reboot after installing Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

falconrocket

falconrocket is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a lion osx code from apple and had a friend redeem it for me on his macbook. When I went to install it on my macbook, it went through the installation process twice, and then went back to the utilities window without rebooting. What am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You bought a code? How? Apple doesn't sell "codes". Please explain more of what you have.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

I purchased Lion 10.7 online from OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.). I don't have the installation disk, so I had to have it on my apple account.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why did you have your friend redeem it for you on his MacBook? Why not yours? And whose Apple ID was used to purchase Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

It was my aunt's old MacBook. She sent it to me with a formatted hard drive. I had never purchased an OS on my apple account as I've never owned a MacBook before, so I had a friend redeem the code on his Mac with my account information. After it was added to my account, I went to install it on my MacBook. Sorry for the confusion.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Need much more information.

What model? The original MacBook can only run up to Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 ~ no Lion OS X.7 or later.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

I know my MacBook is compatible with lion 10.7, as that's what it chooses to install by default. When I start up, all that shows is Mac OS X Utilities. When I select "Reinstall Mac OS X", It tells me to click continue to set up the installation of Mac OS X 10.7. Then, I enter in my apple ID. After it the installation finishes, I'm sent back to OS X Utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of

Please tell us what model of Macbook...

QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

The model number on the back is A1278. Unfortunately I can't get to the about this mac page from OS X Utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Ok, that model is capable of running up to Mavericks. There's also a firmware update available when you get around to it.
When you bought/downloaded Lion, how did you make a bootable stick/disk? Or did you?

QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

I can't download mavericks because I can't access the app store. I can only use OS X disc utilties.

When I bought Lion, apple sent me a redeemable code in a PDF document. I asked my friend to redeem it for me using my account on his MacBook. Then, I was able to install lion. The problem is that when the install finishes, there's no reboot like it says. I'm just sent back to disc utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

You haven't answered the question... exactly how are you trying to install Lion?
DVD, USB stick, magic, how?

QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

I didn't use a disc or USB stick. I'm only using my apple account. I'll show you a video that shows what I am doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RQT9UiwkQ. The problem that I'm having is that after the installation is supposedly done, my computer doesn't restart like it says it's supposed to. It doesn't send me to the set up.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Let me ask the question a different way. You said your friend "redeemed" this code for you on your account. At that point the install file was on HIS machine. How did you get the install file to YOUR machine? USB, DVD, whatever?

You said:
Quote:
I can't download mavericks because I can't access the app store.
if that's so, then how are you using your Apple ID? How did you get an Apple ID? And was did you mean when you said, "I'm only using my apple account?"

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
falconrocket

As far as I understand, as long as lion has been installed using MY account, then I can use it on MY computer as long as I have my apple ID. It's not a USB, or a DISC. Lion was added to my Apple account. if you watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RQT9UiwkQ), then you can see exactly what I'm doing. The problem is that the installation finishes but the computer does not restart. My Apple ID is the same as my Itunes account, which I created using my Windows laptop. I'm pretty sure that as soon as the code was redeemed on my account, then I can use it to install Lion 10.7 on any MacBook. Before my friend redeemed the code for me, I was told that I needed an Apple ID used to purchase Lion 10.7.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Late 2011 MacBook Pro Freezes | Restoring users files (The hard way) »