New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Plugging Iphone into Mac: Where's the drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonvee

simonvee is an unknown at this point

Hi,

Whenever I plug my iPhone to my Mac via USB cord, the 'Image Capture' window opens up. The Image Capture window contains my videos and pictures. If I close this window with the intent of opening it again later on, it appears I have to unplug and re-plug the USB cord from the Mac. It's not like inserting a thumb drive when the drive appears on desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There's no access to the file system, so the iPhone doesn't mount as a drive. Use iCloud, iTunes, iPhoto or Image Capture to manage your assets on the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

That's strange. I don't know whether if Apple could resolve this or not but with Windows, from my memory, you have the drive constantly there in My Computer.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
That's strange. I don't know whether if Apple could resolve this or not but with Windows, from my memory, you have the drive constantly there in My Computer.
Apple doesn't want to "resolve" it. That's how they designed it. Files you should care about are accessible by iCloud and iTunes or Image Capture. The rest of the files you should not mess with so Apple doesn't support any avenue to get to them.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Files within USB thumb drives, external hard-drives, and CD/DVDs are accessible by an icon on desktop once inserted into the Mac. I still don't understand why an iPhone should be an exception. It doesn't mess with the security of the OS or causes user inconvenience in any way.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
Files within USB thumb drives, external hard-drives, and CD/DVDs are accessible by an icon on desktop once inserted into the Mac. I still don't understand why an iPhone should be an exception. It doesn't mess with the security of the OS or causes user inconvenience in any way.
A Mac whether a laptop of DT computer runs on OS X (Mavericks current version) which will 'mount' USB drives, SD cards, etc. - the files can be viewed in Finder. Apple's iDevices (e.g. iPhone & iPad) run on iOS, a completely different operating system - apps are generally 'sandboxed' and their associated files are kept w/i that location; so unless you want to 'jailbreak' your device(s), then you need to simply understand and accept the difference. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Understood
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

On a different topic though, why did Apple implement iTunes? Pardon my ignorance but I need an education on this. iTunes seems more of an inconvenience than anything.

1) Many people like the 'click and drag' method because it's so much more convenient
2) If you want to modify (reduce, add) media in your iPhone, you cannot do it on any computer, besides yours, it seems
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

One simple word - pirating.

And likely the means Apple came up with to got all the record labels to sign up to allow downloading their digital content to prevent people from just connecting an iPod to any old computer and transferring all their content from person to person.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Simonvee

Going back to your very first post in this thread; you can easily configure things so that when you connect your iPhone, Image Capture opens as now, or iPhoto opens automatically, or nothing happens (apart from opening iTunes—in fact you can even configure iTunes via preferences not to open either).

This allows you to choose what you want to do when iPhone connected. For example, you connect to your Mac via USB—nothing happens—Manually open iTunes, say, or manually open iPhoto, do one then the other in any order you like. So, if all you want is to sync with iTunes, that's all that happens. Or, if all you want to do is download photos or videos, ditto.

So there is choice there. Nothing has to be automatic unless you want it to be.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think Bobtomay hit the nail right on the head with his post.

Piracy.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There is 3rd party software available that will let you access your iPhone's file system to a limited degree from a PC or Mac without jailbreaking it. I've found this useful for getting at the data for apps that had no option to export it, nor supported saving to iCloud. I got really annoyed at a game once and heavily modified its assets to get rid of some annoying social media nagging every time I completed a level. The two that come to mind are iFunBox and iExplorer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Security Update 2014-002 | Can I locate older mail on my system? HELP! »