New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mission Control rookie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I'm getting the opportunity to play with my son's Lion, and my first look at MC. I don't like it nearly as much as Spaces. Now, I don't know how to use it very well, but the more Desktops you create, the smaller they become. Even with one, it's too small.

I see that there is a keyboard shortcut to invoke MC rather than having to click it from the Dock. There is a "hot key" set up for it in System Preferences. It's very similar to Expose in that regard. But, I need Magnifying Glass; can't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you have a keyboard with the Expose button, it works in a similar fashion as you note. Other keyboard shortcuts can be created in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

You can also add hot corner shortcuts if you like: System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Hot Corners...

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

The thing I don't see is the ability to set applications to automatically open in their own Desktop. That is, similar to Spaces where you can designate which Space an app uses.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Right-click on the app in the Dock. Options, Assign to ...This Desktop/All Desktops/None.
Don't think you can do it before opening the app.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

None? What is that? Whatever Desktop is active when the app is opened?

And I don't get "Assign to" for any open app. This is Lion. Is that why? Or perhaps it's because there is only one Desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Yes, I believe that is what "None" means.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

You need to have created the desktop you want to use first. Then while viewing this desktop you can select "This Desktop"

Last edited by docx; 04-21-2014 at 06:42 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi ToMAcash

I also found Mission Control a bit baffling when it first launched with Lion.

The following link takes you to a Macworld article which describes virtually all the main features of the Lion OS including a good section on MC: Apple OS X Lion Operating System Review | Macworld

Hope this helps.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

There's no link.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

So sorry. Copied wrong bit!!

This should be correct: Lion: The Complete Macworld Review | Macworld

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by docx View Post
You need to have created the desktop you want to use first. Then while viewing this desktop you can select "This Desktop"
Ah! So you can set it up like Spaces then? Will this hold up through a Restart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
There's no link.
That's ok, as far as I'm concerned. I hope this thread will help someone else, but that's not likely due to the vintage topic. I'm not going to use it, as I don't have it. I'm just curious about it, and have the next 24 hours to look at it before returning home. But, as this is not my Mac, I can't mess with it too much; no changes in my wake allowed.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I think Mission Control works the same way in Mavericks, so this thread is not just vintage.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Correct MacInWin. The section on MC is current as regards Mavericks. At least I finally gave ToMAcash and any others the proper link after messing it up the first time.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Ah! So you can set it up like Spaces then? Will this hold up through a Restart?
Yes, that's right. It will stay that way after a restart.
I have one screen for general use, one for Spotify and one for mail. I just swipe between them. Its much easier to navigate through program's this way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to launch Final Cut Server in MAC OS X 10.9 | Multiple files in download window »