New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

eMac Leo HDD issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackolantern28

jackolantern28 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2x eMac 1ghz

Hi, im new to the forums (joined today).
I have a problem with my 1Ghz/786Mb RAM eMac. It wont let me copy to its internal hd on 10.5.1 and when 'get info' on the drive it states:
Capacity: --KB
Available: --KB
Yet under disk utility it states I have 30gb free?!
Plz help
ps: i upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.5.1 not long ago.
Your help will be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

Update:
I have tried updating to 10.5.8 (didn't work)
If it helps i also ran monolingual to get rid of Intel architecture to make it faster (that my have caused it.
could someone point my in the right direction.
Thanks
ps: I put osx 10.9 theme for 10.5 on my emac for a laugh! it looks cool
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Either your hard drive is much too full, minimum 15% required, 150MB. Assume you mean a 1GB hard drive so the 30GB may be 30MB? Second option is the drive is/has failed. Boot from the Leopard disk by holding down 'C' after reboot with DVD in, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is advised.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

thanks for the reply.
my hard drive worked fine under 10.3. the problem happens in 10.5
i tried what you said and it still didnt work.
Did removing architectures off my mac mess with the disk?
By the way my hdd is a 40gb Maxtor with 30gb free as stated in disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

UPDATE:
I ran the disk utility in the installer and it stated 'the volume eMac 10.5 appears to be OK'
Please can someone help me find another way
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Short answer: yes, messing around with Monolingual is causing the issue. You'll need to back up the stuff you want to save, wipe the drive and reinstall the system (probably years overdue for that anyway).
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Short answer: yes, messing around with Monolingual is causing the issue. You'll need to back up the stuff you want to save, wipe the drive and reinstall the system (probably years overdue for that anyway).
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
I have reinstalled the system without monolingual and everything is good.
It has only been 1 day since I reinstalled the system not a year xD.
This time I wont touch monolingual.
Im going to put a 10.9 theme on it xD lol.

Is there a way of using monolingual without stuffing with the hdd? I would like do get rid of unneeded Intel architecture.
Anyway thanks for the good reply chasm
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sadly I don't know of a way to safely remove the Intel component of universal apps without causing problems. Of course, I would mention that it's well past time you joined us all here in the 2010s and got a new(er) Intel Mac ...
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

I know
I found out it wasn't monolingual.
Its happened again
any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Again how full is the hard drive?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

It is only 10gb full of 40gb.
I only clean installed 10.5 a few days ago.
Also i noticed after the install it was fine until the first reboot, that's when the problem occurs.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Boot from the Leopard disk and run Repair Disk from there. See what is reported.

QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

Ok iv done that and it said my disk is OK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard maintenance | Time machine taking forever preparing backups »