Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Time machine taking forever preparing backups (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/310535-time-machine-taking-forever-preparing-backups.html)

firesidedog 04-15-2014 07:22 PM

Time machine taking forever preparing backups

I run the most current version of mavericks OSX. Lately it seems that it has been taking way longer than usual to prepare backups. Today after 35min. I gave up. I backup every other day and its not like there is really much to backup. I mean very little. Does anyone know what gives? it's rather frustrating.

I also have CCC on a separate external hd which I also run every other day. Do I need to take this into account?

osxx 04-15-2014 07:25 PM

Do you use a VM (Parallels ,Fusion Virtual Box ) and run Windows or Linux?

firesidedog 04-15-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osxx (Post 1578218)
Do you use a VM (Parallels ,Fusion Virtual Box ) and run Windows or Linux?

None of those.

chscag 04-15-2014 08:39 PM

Use Disk Utility and run a verify on your Time Machine external hard drive. It shouldn't be taking 35 minutes to prepare a backup unless there's something wrong with the drive or some data is corrupted.

firesidedog 04-16-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1578229)
Use Disk Utility and run a verify on your Time Machine external hard drive. It shouldn't be taking 35 minutes to prepare a backup unless there's something wrong with the drive or some data is corrupted.

I ran Disk Utility and repaired. No change.

chscag 04-16-2014 01:49 PM

You're saying that Disk Utility made repairs on the external hard drive? If so, did you run it again to verify that there were no more repairs to be made?

McBie 04-16-2014 02:06 PM

Here is the trick.
open the console.app and look in the log files for events marked as " com.apple.backupd " and look at what time machine is doing.
If it is doing a deep traversal of your disk, or verifying it's database, that can take a long time.
Golden advice is to let Time Machine finish what it started, even if it takes a very long time.
If you interrupt it, the next time it will take even longer. :-)

So have a look at those logs and see what happens in the background.

Cheers ... McBie

firesidedog 04-19-2014 03:59 PM

Time machine still taking a very long time. Should I reformat it? Start from beginning?

Slydude 04-19-2014 04:56 PM

Have you tried these tips?

Rod Sprague 04-20-2014 02:36 AM

Have you excluded your CCC backups from Time Machine. I dont suppose you have both drives hooked up at the same time but if you do (as I do) you should exclude your CCC backup drive otherwise poor old Time machine will be backing up your backup thus doubling (or more) the amount of data to be copied.;)

firesidedog 04-20-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Sprague (Post 1578948)
Have you excluded your CCC backups from Time Machine. I dont suppose you have both drives hooked up at the same time but if you do (as I do) you should exclude your CCC backup drive otherwise poor old Time machine will be backing up your backup thus doubling (or more) the amount of data to be copied.;)

I always run CCC apart from my TM backups. I did reformat my external hd and started fresh. I will see what happens on my next backup.

Rod Sprague 04-20-2014 07:29 AM

No worries, the first one does take a while though, after that 10 mins is reasonable.

firesidedog 04-20-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Sprague (Post 1578964)
No worries, the first one does take a while though, after that 10 mins is reasonable.

Yeah it only took a couple of hours. I figure it's worth eliminating the time and grief.