New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

retina 13'' no operating system and no bootloader

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jihyel

jihyel is on a distinguished road

I currently have 13'' retina mac pro. I recently tried to overwrite mac OS with Ubuntu, and successfully installed it. However, I think the bootloader and efi are gone, and the laptop doesn't even lead me to mac recovery mode. I only see the option of window hard disk, and it says no operating system, even after successful ubuntu installation. I'm not really sure what I can do at this point, because all the other options seemed to be gone.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Are you saying that you tried the...command + r...keys at startup and couldn't get into the recovery partition?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Depending on how you installed Ubuntu the Recovery partition probably got erased.
You DID make a Lion/ML/Mavericks install USB stick right?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

On newer Mac's that do not come with OS install disks (been a couple/few years now)...or don't have a built-in optical drive...here are the OS install/recovery choices:

1. Recovery partition (OS 10.7 and higher).

Press the 2 keys...command + r...at the beginning of the startup/boot-up process.

2. Bootable USB stick/thumb drive OS installer.

This is something that must be made AFTER downloading an OS installer...but BEFORE doing the install. This is because the installer is auto-deleted after the install. If the bootable USB stick OS installer is not made before installing...then the OS installer needs to be downloaded again to make it. Lots of info on the internet how to make a bootable USB stick Mac OS installer.

3. Internet Recovery.

If someone had a storage device failure (hard drive or SSD)...and installed a brand new one...this new storage device will not have anything on it (no bootable OS or recovery partition). This is where "Internet Recovery" comes in. It is built into all newer Mac's. Probably all Mac's that have had OS 10.7 or higher installed on it.

Here's more info on the various options:

Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.

To the OP: Since you installed Ubuntu....and IF the recovery partition was lost/erased in the process...then:

- Option #1 won't work for you (no recovery partition).
- Option #2 won't work either if you don't have an external bootable OS install source (disk or USB drive/thumb drive).
- Option #3 (Internet Recovery) may not work either...since I think that Internet Recovery ONLY "kicks in" if the computer "tries" to boot for a specified amount of time (at least a couple/few minutes) and cannot find ANY bootable source to boot from. Since this computer can boot into Ubuntu...then Internet Recovery probably won't "kick-in".

If you want to get OS X installed back onto this computer I would say you need to:

- Have some sort of external way of erasing this computer's storage device (HD or SSD) so no bootable OS is present...and Internet Recovery can "kick in".
- Have an external way of installing the Mac OS (probably via a bootable USB stick installer).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you want to get OS X installed back onto this computer I would say you need to:

- Have some sort of external way of erasing this computer's storage device (HD or SSD) so no bootable OS is present...and Internet Recovery can "kick in".
Just boot from live Ubuntu media and erase the HD/SSD - very simple.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
Just boot from live Ubuntu media and erase the HD/SSD - very simple.
I would think that will do it! Then the Internet Recovery should "kick-in".

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying To View Printer Profiles in OSX 10.9.2 | genieo is this malware? »