New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

transfering files to new mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peter Grainger

Peter Grainger is on a distinguished road

I have bought a 2nd hand imac and wish to transfer the contents of a G4 using Migration Assistant. I have been asked for the name and password of the administrator user. I have lost this information. Can anyone tell me how to find it again please
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Which machine are you looking for the name and password? You should have it for the G4, and your new to you iMac should have a clean install to start from.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Contact the original owner and get the information from them. That's the easiest solution.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

I'm transferring from G4 to Imac and the panel requesting administrator user and password has opened on the G4. I have had the machine for ages and have completely forgotten where I wrote the information.
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

Can't contact original owner as he has died
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

What are you transferring over that requires the administrator's password? That seems unnecessary unless you're moving content from an odd location.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

I'm transferring everything
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

How are you connecting the 2 macs? FireWire is the only way with a G4. Or try Ethernet or wifi.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What do you mean by everything? Most of the relevant content should be transferrable without having to enter admin credentials.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

I have solved my access problems and have my original G4 running Tiger (10.4.11) linked to my new Imac running 10.9 via a firewire cable. The Imac will not accept the arrangement although it sees the G4. This upgrade after all the trouble free years I have enjoyed with my mac will be the death of me.
I want to transfer all my applications and files from the G4 to the Imac without a dialogue box constantly telling me sorry you can't do that.
Can anyone give me an idiots guide please?
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

You will need to put the G4 into TDM OS X Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode.

Important note - your G4 software is no longer supported under OS X before you transfer go into System Profiler or System Information in Applications > Utilities. In the left column select Applications and let it populate the window. PowerPC and Classic are no longer supported under OS 10.7 and above.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Merged threads

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

I don't think I can do "Lion" which is why I want to upgrade in the first place. Here is the spec of my current Mac:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f2
Serial Number: CK239H9JNLP

Why is nothing that easy?

Any more thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

There are a couple of different PowerMac G4 machines with the model identifier 3.6. You won't be able to run Lion on any of these machines. The latest OS they can run is Leopard. System requirements here.

Be aware that Leopard is not exactly cheap given its age. A quick check of eBay indicates that it's selling for between $50 - $100.00. US. Don't waste your money on the Gray label versions of this disc often sold on eBay. They won't work unless they are from the same model Mac as yours. The disc you would need is black and purple with a large X on it.

See this thread for a picture and additional info. While you're there give member RavingMac a rep bump for that information.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Peter Grainger

OK so now I'm even more confused. Are you saying that I can run Leopard on my Mac (do you need further info to help you answer that? - if so please ask and I'll try to find out)
If I can run Leopard will that enable me to transfer everything to my new Imac and if so How do I do it?
Forgive my ignorance - I just use it and what goes on under the bonnet is magic.
Furthermore I'm way too old to learn new tricks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't use external monitor since 10.9.2 upgrade | I'm Not Sure If I Have A Computer Problem Or Not »