New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I upgrade my iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bazzra1714

Bazzra1714 is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to upgrade the memory from 8gb to 16gb, and video card from AMD 4850 to the latest version on my 2009/10 iMac? Running Snow Leopard and using boot camp for games on windows (COD etc) but some new game requirements (COD Ghosts) exceed my system ability. All advice appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Does this apply to you?
iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 or 2374 Graphics Card Replacement - iFixit

PS - I don't have an iMac, but typically, Mac graphics cards require Mac-specific firmware. Don't try to use a non-Mac card (cheaper) unless someone confirms it will work.

As for RAM, that may depend on exact model of iMac, too. What model is yours?
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Depends on the model iMac you have. Some models from 2009 only support 8 gb memory. Late 2009 models support up to 32 gb ram. Check here to see what your iMac supports Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Tech Specs) @ EveryMac.com

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You have a late 2009 27" iMac which uses the AMD 4850 card. Your iMac can be upgraded to 32 GB of memory. As for the graphics card, I don't know if on that particular model the GPU is on a removable card or whether it's surface mounted to the logic board. You'll need to check with iFixit.com to see if it's removable. And if it is, you need to do some searching to see it can be replaced with something more powerful. As to replacing it with the latest version of GPU used in current iMacs, the answer to that is no.
QUOTE Thanks
Bazzra1714

Bazzra1714 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for the replies, great help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Configuration | Trouble downloading from YouTube using ANT downloader »