Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Driver error - Win 7 64 bit install on MacBook Air late 2013 running Mavericks10.9.2 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/310393-driver-error-win-7-64-bit-install-macbook-air-late-2013-running-mavericks10-9-2-a.html)

krissy 04-11-2014 07:20 AM

Driver error - Win 7 64 bit install on MacBook Air late 2013 running Mavericks10.9.2
 
Hello,

My MacBook Air arrived last week with Mavericks pre-installed and I've been unable to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on it.

I get the following errors:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/grSjK.png

and

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5207/img0082ua.jpg

Please note the images are not my images, but found them online in other forums - I'm using these purely to show the error messages

I used an ISO file to create a bootable USB to install Windows, which I have done before on an older MBA, using a 32 bit version.

There is nothing wrong with the ISO file I use as it works on other regular laptops (non-Mac). Apple Technical support have so far, asked me to ensure I'm using a retail version of Windows 7 Pro, which I am. It's company software which we download from Microsoft directly.

Not sure if the fact the new MBA comes with USB3 ports could have anything to do with this. :Confused:

The Apple Technical team are in contact with me and this has been escalated to the engineering team, but I've been tirelessly Googling the issue and reading posts of many forums.

So far I've thought about reverting back to Mountain Lion - which I am sure isn't a good move....and also installing Win 7 Pro via a windows partition without using BootCamp.:Confused:

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Any ideas? Please help :[

chscag 04-11-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

So far I've thought about reverting back to Mountain Lion - which I am sure isn't a good move....and also installing Win 7 Pro via a windows partition without using BootCamp.
You can not install Mountain Lion since your new Air came pre-installed with
Mavericks. You can not downgrade. From your statement above I don't know if you're using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 Pro?

The Boot Camp assistant will recognize that your Air does not have an optical drive and offers to create a bootable USB flash drive from your downloaded ISO of Windows 7 Pro. It also advises you to download a driver image from Apple which can be placed on a flash drive to load during the installation process.

How about telling us exactly what steps you've taken as it seems we're missing something here.

MacInWin 04-11-2014 03:23 PM

I think you are trying to use Parallels. One of the top bars in the windows refers to Parallels Desktop. On my Parallels, when I select New for a new system, I am presented with the option of CD/DVD, image or USB. So if Parallels is what you want, then just install from the same image you used to create the install USB, or point to the install USB when offered the opportunity.

If you think you are using BootCamp, that first window shows otherwise. Parallels and BootCamp are two different things.

krissy 04-11-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1577407)
You can not install Mountain Lion since your new Air came pre-installed with
Mavericks. You can not downgrade. From your statement above I don't know if you're using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 Pro?

The Boot Camp assistant will recognize that your Air does not have an optical drive and offers to create a bootable USB flash drive from your downloaded ISO of Windows 7 Pro. It also advises you to download a driver image from Apple which can be placed on a flash drive to load during the installation process.

How about telling us exactly what steps you've taken as it seems we're missing something here.

Hello chscag,

Thanks for your comments, sorry I neglected to include my rundown of events. Hope I haven't missed anything else out. I followed the BootCamp Assistant for this process.

1) Updated the mac via software update

2) Opened Disk Utility to and chose the top level of my 8GB USB stick, formatted to MS-DOS FAT since it was under 32GB...

3) Ran BootCamp Assistant and chose "Create install disk...." - selecting Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ISO from my desktop and destination - my 8GB USB

4) Created Windows partition

5) BootCamp created the Win partition, restarted my MBA and launched into Windows Install.

I got as far as selecting United Kingdom for country/lang preferences and then encountered driver errors.

Please note: I have also tried installing Windows via creating the USB without downloading the support software.

krissy 04-11-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacInWin (Post 1577430)
I think you are trying to use Parallels. One of the top bars in the windows refers to Parallels Desktop. On my Parallels, when I select New for a new system, I am presented with the option of CD/DVD, image or USB. So if Parallels is what you want, then just install from the same image you used to create the install USB, or point to the install USB when offered the opportunity.

If you think you are using BootCamp, that first window shows otherwise. Parallels and BootCamp are two different things.

Hi MacInWin,

Terribly sorry for any confusion - the images aren't mine which I should have mentioned. Just used them to show the error messages I was getting when I tried to install Windows.

I've since edited my post to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out to me! :Blushing:

chscag 04-11-2014 08:43 PM

Thanks for posting back the details. It sure seems you did everything correct which is why I don't understand the error you're receiving? Normally Windows would install and reboot. Then you would install the drivers you downloaded from Apple. I'm beginning to suspect that your copy of Windows 7 Pro x 64 bit is a single licensed multiple (corporate) version which is not eligible for Boot Camp installation. The copy is of course legal but for some reason the corporate licensed versions do not work with Boot Camp.

I'm not 100% certain if that's the problem you're running into, so you may wish to confirm this with Apple support. Let us know.

krissy 04-11-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1577489)
I'm beginning to suspect that your copy of Windows 7 Pro x 64 bit is a single licensed multiple (corporate) version which is not eligible for Boot Camp installation. The copy is of course legal but for some reason the corporate licensed versions do not work with Boot Camp.

I'm not 100% certain if that's the problem you're running into, so you may wish to confirm this with Apple support. Let us know.

Hi chscag, thanks for your response. I am currently using an older MBA lower specification, running Windows 7 Pro x32 bit and that is also a corporate version so it's confusing me as to why this x64 bit doesn't work :Grimmace:

Speaking to Apple on Monday....will post what they come up with (if anything)!

MacInWin 04-12-2014 01:28 AM

Well, by deleting the first post, this thread now makes no sense because the problem statement is missing. I suggest one of the mods do something to tie together the thread title and the new post #1.

krissy 04-12-2014 05:32 AM

I didn't delete my original post I merely edited it. I definitely saw afterwards that my post was edited successfully - I didn't delete it.

krissy 04-12-2014 05:36 AM

I'm interested to know where my post has gone because I without a doubt, did not delete my post.

ferrarr 04-12-2014 07:37 AM

2013 Macbook Air came with Mountain Lion installed.

bobtomay 04-12-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krissy (Post 1577564)
I'm interested to know where my post has gone because I without a doubt, did not delete my post.

There are certain things a newb (sorry) can put in a post which will cause it to go into moderation - it has now been approved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrarr (Post 1577568)
2013 Macbook Air came with Mountain Lion installed.

The mid '13 MBA is the current model - all of them have shipped with Mavericks since the end of October.

MacInWin 04-12-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krissy (Post 1577562)
I didn't delete my original post I merely edited it. I definitely saw afterwards that my post was edited successfully - I didn't delete it.

I didn't intend to point that at you, more at the Mods to put the first post back so the thread made sense.

ferrarr 04-12-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1577578)
There are certain things a newb (sorry) can put in a post which will cause it to go into moderation - it has now been approved.



The mid '13 MBA is the current model - all of them have shipped with Mavericks since the end of October.

But it will still run Mountain Lion.

I have a late 2011 MBP that was running 10.6 when I received it. (Purchased from ebay)

krissy 04-12-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1577578)
There are certain things a newb (sorry) can put in a post which will cause it to go into moderation - it has now been approved.

That's ok I am new and haven't posted on a forum in years I didn't realise my edit would cause the post to be re-approved. I did wonder where it went :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.