Help Reallocating Memory

Help Reallocating Memory
    Hi guys, this is my first time posting and i'm hoping for some help here. I am running Mac OS X version 10.7.5 (haven't updated in years.. should get on that). When I purchased my Mac from my campus computer store, I also bought parallel desktops to run Windows 7 on top of my Mac when needed. The guy at the store didn't ask me how I wanted my memory allocated between Mac and PC, and did a 50/50 split. I rarely ever use my Windows 7, and would like to remove it and reallocate all memory to my startup disc, as my Mac portion memory is full. I have went into storage and disc utility, and I have unmounted the "BOOTCAMP" that is used for PC memory. I have 132/159 GB free in space on the BOOTCAMP I unmounted, and only 8 GB free on my Mac startup disc. So I ask, is there a way to reallocate this 132 GB free space to my Mac, or do I need to go to the apple store and have them do it for me? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys!

Help Reallocating Memory
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Memory = Ram
    Storage Space = Hard Drive.

You're talking about hard drive storage space...not "memory". Just want to get the terminology straight so everyone is on the same page.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Help Reallocating Memory
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    There's a whole lot of confusion going on here..you mention Parallels (a virtualization software) to run Windows and then Bootcamp (a dual-boot solution) to run Windows..

You either have one or the other, if you have both, then that's all messed up. A 50/50 split makes sense with Bootcamp, but not with Parallels..

Either way, follow the instructions here to properly remove the Bootcamp partition and reclaim the space.

Ensure you have good AND working backup of your stuff before you do anything.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Help Reallocating Memory

thanks guys, im sorry about my poor wording, i am pretty oblivious about computers and terminology. i will follow the link to remove it, i have nothing worth backing up on my bootcamp. thanks!

Help Reallocating Memory

Raz0r - thanks so much for the link. Removed bootcamp and went from 6GB free to 180GB free on my mac, hasn't run this fast in years.

Help Reallocating Memory
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Well it's fine if you have nothing important on the Bootcamp (Windows) partition, but since you are playing around with something that's going to affect the OS X side as well, you really should backup your data on the partition you DO care about before trying anything..

One wrong option or move and you could easily end up erasing the OS X partition and stuck with JUST the Windows partition or neither of them..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Help Reallocating Memory
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmazzia View Post
    Raz0r - thanks so much for the link. Removed bootcamp and went from 6GB free to 180GB free on my mac, hasn't run this fast in years.
    Glad it went smoothly. As you've found out, OS X does require at least 20-25% of your HDD's capacity free to operate well, otherwise you end up with slowness and other issues..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information