New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"command+shift+P" hotkey doesn't work in Colemak

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markbellaire

markbellaire is on a distinguished road

I use the Colemak keyboard layout on OSX Mavericks, but the "command+shift+P" hotkey doesn't register as a hotkey choice, doesn't do anything when pressed, and isn't set in the "Shortcuts" menu of System Preferences. It seems like "command+shift+V" doesn't work either. Can anyone explain this?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I presume you got the Colemak keyboard by running or loading some driver to change the keys to Colemak. That process then changes the digital signals from the keyboard so that instead of "e" you see "f," for example. What that means, however, is that combination keys like Command+shift+P don't see the "P" on your keyboard because it's been remapped to a where the "R" key is on a standard QWERTY keyboard. If your driver passes along CMD and other function keys without changing them, you might be able to try CMD-shift-semicolon on Colemak, as the ";" is where the "P" is physically. ON the other hand, if the driver maps everything and doesn't pass the raw key data at all, then you probably can't get ANY of the function+keys to work. Based on your comment, I suspect that is what is happening, in which case the only solution is to remove the Colemak driver.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
markbellaire

markbellaire is on a distinguished road

Most of the other hotkeys work just fine, and they are moved over to where the new location of each letter is mapped. It's just a couple hotkeys that just don't register. I try to set them in a 3rd-party app and it's as if I'm not even hitting the hotkey. Weird...

Well that's unfortunate that the driver is breaking my hotkeys. That's the "Command Palette" hotkey in Sublime Text. I use that a lot...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restoring files with time capsule - help | Help Reallocating Memory »