New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

BTW .... When I click the SD card in the left pane, the words Apple SDXC reader Media appear at the top of the Ap page. I don't know if that means anything but thought it best to mention it.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

Just as I thought ... Steve, the 'upgraded' card is just a polite way of saying 'it's a fake, but I don't pretend it isn't'.

Really, truly not worth even a quid to be wasted on those.

There are a few good vendors with excellent prices: mymemory and 7dayshop - just two of the top of my head - guaranteed genuine cards and great customer service.

Have you tried formatting any of the cards you have in an alternative file system - Mac OS Extended is a good one, as Disk Utility will report any problem.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
David .... I did get them from the place that must not be named and here is a link to the actual page

Upgraded 16GB or 32gb or 64gb Micro SD memory card & Adaptor.16 gb 32 gb 64 gb. | eBay

I know what you mean regarding iffy memory cards but the bonus here is that the guy lives about 300 yards from my house so a visit of complaint wouldn't be much problem. However, the auction page explains exactly what is going on here.
Having said that, I have now tried 3 other SD cards ranging from 1gb to 8gb and I don't seem to be able to copy files from my desktop onto any of them.
"Upgraded" SD Cards? LOL! I'm with David on this. Run, don't walk away from this thing. More on this for your reading pleasure:
Beware of fake 32gb micro sd card on ebay!!!!!! - The eBay Community
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

Steve, honestly I would just return these SD cards for a refund, and get this: USB Stick - under a tenner delivered, from a top retailer, hardly bigger than a microSD card and at 32GB you can stick all your books on it, I'm sure I have two of these: a 16GB and 32GB and never had any problem, just like with any other stuff I bought from Crucial/MyMemory.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks for the heads up about those fake cards. I had not heard of that particular scam.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thanks again, guys. Good advice and I shall heed it. But the fact still remains that I can't do the drag 'n drop thing. I have tried using smaller SD cards (not SDHC Micro cards in an adaptor), I have tried various sized USB sticks and 2 external hard drives connected by a USB lead and in all cases, when I highlight the file that I want to copy from the desktop to the storage device, as soon as I drag the file into the storage folder a white circle with a diagonal bar through it appears and it isn't possible to copy the file.
Any clues?
Cheers,
Steve.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
Thanks again, guys. Good advice and I shall heed it. But the fact still remains that I can't do the drag 'n drop thing. I have tried using smaller SD cards (not SDHC Micro cards in an adaptor), I have tried various sized USB sticks and 2 external hard drives connected by a USB lead and in all cases, when I highlight the file that I want to copy from the desktop to the storage device, as soon as I drag the file into the storage folder a white circle with a diagonal bar through it appears and it isn't possible to copy the file.
Any clues?
Cheers,
Steve.
Ok, first off, where exactly are these files located? How big are they? Highlight one that won't move, then press CMD-I to get an info sheet.

How exactly are the "normal" SD cards formatted? Select one in Finder and press CMD-I to get the info sheet. See my screen cap for an example. And are they even "normal"? Where did you get them? What specific brand/model?

screenshot_01.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Steve, are you able to copy/move files within your main HD? From a desktop to a folder?
What about copying files from a Documents folder (your desktop is not really an intended storage place for your files) to say, Downloads folder, or vice versa?

If any of these are giving you errors, go to Disk Utility, select your main HD and click Verify Disk Permissions, wait for it to finish, and if it lists any errors, click on Repair Disk Permissions.

You've mentioned USB sticks and external HDs - are these all newly acquired? If not, were you able to use them before? Can you see files on, and can you copy a file, from external USB storage to your main HD?

If there's nothing stored on a particular USB drive, try to reformat it, after verifying it is indeed formatted correctly, as lifeisabeach above suggested.

Also, rather than drag-and-drop, can you try CMD-C and CMD-V ? Shouldn't make a difference, if everything is configured correctly, but if it does, it'll be a clue...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

lifesabeach asked ..... Ok, first off, where exactly are these files located?

The files that I want to move to the SD card are located on my desktop. They are located inside folders named for the author. There are 26 Authurs with anything between 6 and 42 novels inside each folder and they are all under 600kb

The first SD card to be tested is one that I have had for about 4 years. It is 128mb in size. The Format line says .....MS-DOS (FAT 16) There is no actual name on the card unless "Multimediacard" is a registered name.

The next one to try is a 1gb MicroSD card in an adapter. I've had it for years and it hs been used with no problems at all. According to the Info it is formatted as MS-DOS (FAT 16) and has a capacity of 966.5mb.

The next one is similar in build up but it is a 128 mb micro SD card in an adaptor. As before, owned for years and used to drag/drop files many times in the past with no problems. This one is formatted just the same as the first 2 but this one has a capacity of 122.5 mb.
I'll leave it there for now and get on with some work.
Cheers all,
Steve.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Verify that the SD cards have no contents on them, and make sure you empty the trash while they are mounted. If you still can't write anything to them, then take them to your Windows laptop and see if it can write to them. If the laptop can't, then something is wrong with those cards.
QUOTE Thanks
mac2665

mac2665 is on a distinguished road

I downloaded a bunch of ePub books from our library to my MBP and encountered the same problem when I tried to copy them to a thumb drive. The files cannot be copied because the author(s) have protected them. It's like copyright protection for eBooks. The SD card is good if data files, excel files, documents, etc., will copy.
QUOTE Thanks
chinajon

chinajon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24 @ 3GHz

Two other ways...
1. In a finder window open the card. Copy the files. Open the card window. Make a new folder, open it. Paste into the new folder.

2. In a finder window, open the folder with thee pubs. Select all.
Open a second finder window, navigate to mini, make a new folder. Open the new folder. Drag the selected file into the new mini ffolder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS settings for printing? | Disable pop-up »