New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MB pro with Mavericks not sleeping

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

This just seems to have happened yesterday. My MB pro 13" with Mavericks won't go to sleep. I haven't done anything with it at all (no new apps or downloads made). I can choose sleep from any combination of keystrokes, or just leave it alone and have it go to sleep from the power settings, but the light on the front won't dim and brighten as it should when the machine is sleeping, as it's supposed to. I downloaded Mavericks a few weeks ago and didn't have this problem, so I'm not sure what's changed. Can anyone let me know if they're having the same problem and any possible solutions?

Okay -- here's an update. after I posted this I had the thought that maybe my internet connection had something to do with this; so I turned off the wi-fi and disconnected the ethernet cable, and it went to sleep. But I can't remember having this problem before; I could leave my cables/internet connected and it went to sleep, so can someone tell me if this is normal, or has something gone awry that would cause this problem, and if so how I might fix it? Even with Safari closed (not sure if that would make any difference) it seems to happen).

Last edited by Straitsfan; 04-07-2014 at 07:59 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitsfan View Post
Okay -- here's an update. after I posted this I had the thought that maybe my internet connection had something to do with this; so I turned off the wi-fi and disconnected the ethernet cable, and it went to sleep.
The same thing can happen to me from time to time. It can happen depending on what web pages are currently active on the computer.

When you walk away/leave it alone...and if there are very "busy" webpages open that have lots of advertising videos that change/download every few minutes...I think that this "fools" the computer into thinking that there is activity on the computer...and it doesn't go to sleep. I've also found it happens if I'm doing internet gaming...and if I'm logged out due to inactivity...the open game client seems to fool the computer as well.

Bottom line. Some sort of open web page is probably doing it (advertising videos, flashy banners, etc.). Advertisers/web page designers are getting trickier & trickier. Especially the advertising videos that can no longer be stopped or paused.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Straitsfan

Even with Safari closed it won't go to sleep -- unless you mean that with the cable or wi-fi connected that it's keeping it going; but it's strange -- when I disconnected the ethernet cable it slept, and when I reconnected the ethernet cable while it was asleep, it didn't wake up. There's something about the internet connection -- even with Safari closed -- that's keeping it from sleeping.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's something about the internet connection -- even with Safari closed -- that's keeping it from sleeping.
This basically means that something related to the internet connection is keeping the computer from sleeping. Maybe some app is still open and active...that you thought you closed or quit.

Remember clicking on the red button in the upper part of an open window only closes the window (does not quit the program)...just in case this is happening.

Also, many folks (on purpose or by mistake)...download & install apps that "auto-launch" on startup...thus they are always active. If one or more of these apps communicates with the internet...this could be the source of the issue as well.

Another thing you can do is...open Activity Monitor (after you think that you've closed everything)...and examine "All Process's" to see if something is actually open that you thought was closed.

These ideas may not all apply...stuff for you to investigate.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Straitsfan

Thanks; I'll do that, but I mean to say that even when I quit Safari (or quit everything) it can happen. I check out the activity monitor and see what comes up the next time it happens.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks; I'll do that, but I mean to say that even when I quit Safari (or quit everything) it can happen.
I understand...that's why I provided a number of things to investigate.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger Dual Boot Quad G5 | Deleted OS X and now Macbook Pro only starts up in Windows XP »