New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Identifying computer activity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trypsin

Trypsin is on a distinguished road

My computer sent/received exactly 2GB data yesterday evening but I don't know what was it. I found it out because my internet connection has 10GB months limit (wireless) so when I connected at 8pm I had 4.5GB left but at 11pm I had just 2.5GB left. I didn't watch any videos or HD pictures just read articles. Also, I had photo stream disable and denied automatically download all attachments in my email client. I'm not aware that system downloaded any updates.
How I said, is any possibility to find out in system what was uploaded/downloaded backward in time?
I haven't used any third party apps for data monitoring.
My OS X version is 10.9.2

Thanks for answers
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If your computer has an active webpage (or tabbed webpage) that has advertising videos on it (that reload or change every couple of minutes)...this can eat up a lot of bandwidth.

If I was on a internet plan with limits...I would definitely close all webpages with this sort of content on it before walking away from the computer (if the computer was left powered on).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Trypsin

OK it could be however 2GB for ad is a bit much.. I'm aware that an internet plan with limits is pain in the butt, but my question been - Is any possibility to find it in system backward?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypsin View Post
OK it could be however 2GB for ad is a bit much..
I'm not talking just one advertisement. I'm talking different advertisements that change/rotate every few minutes. Think about a different advertisement video every 3-5 minutes over the course of the 3 hours you mentioned (8pm to 11pm). That can add up to a lot of bandwidth.

I'm not saying this IS the issue. Just a possibility.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Trypsin

I understand, thanks for your contribution Nick. However, one thing is against. The same windows I had open even hours and practically there was no loss then.. As I wrote, I read the articles in the forum and had open about three windows (all the time the same). I visit this website frequently and never happened before. I was thinking some other program than chrome/safari.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I understand, thanks for your contribution Nick. However, one thing is against. The same windows I had open even hours and practically there was no loss then.. As I wrote, I read the articles in the forum and had open about three windows (all the time the same). I visit this website frequently and never happened before. I was thinking some other program than chrome/safari.
Hey...just coming up with guess's/theories on what it could be based on the info given. If you say the computer conditions for those guess's/theories don't work...no problem...you know your computer better than me.

The internet browser I'm thinking would be the best bet for data use/loss while away from the computer. But maybe you have something else installed that remains active while away.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Here's a general best practice that may fix the issue:

1. QUIT (not close) all programs when you're done with them. They only take a second or two to relaunch anyway. Hint: red button at the top left is not QUIT.

2. You may have running torrent programs in use by you or someone on your network that you may not known about. On a plan with limits like yours, this is NOT AN OPTION for practical use. Shut them down.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
On a plan with limits like yours, this is NOT AN OPTION for practical use. Shut them down.
Seems like pretty sound advice to me.

@OP: I'm sure going over the monthly limit probably isn't cheap. And who wants to lose internet access these days due to reaching a data limit (and not wanting to pay extra for going over the limit).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Trypsin

I have never used any p2p networks and also it's impossible that someone used my internet account because I'm using the unique voucher number which is just for one computer (internet provider in a hotel). I've got a suspicion that it could be itunes or another Mac app but I need to check it. So does exist any command in the terminal which can show the network data in/out history? I'm sure that system keeps a log process.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
So does exist any command in the terminal which can show the network data in/out history? I'm sure that system keeps a log process.
Just so you know...I know that you've asked this question a couple times...and to be honest...I'm not sure (I haven't ever run into this problem).

What I found (with some internet searching)...is that it seems you need to have something (an app or OS X setting) already in place to track computer activity. There's also a OS X app called "Console" (mentioned in the 3rd link)...that may work to find activity info.

Here are some links to this info:

OS X Parental Control - Activity Logs
How to Monitor a Mac Computer: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Mac Equivalent of Task Manager, Command Prompt and Event Viewer

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

A variation of chas_m's suggestion (quit all open apps).

- Turn off the computers WiFi (if connected via WiFi).
- Unplug the ethernet cable (if connected via ethernet). A brute-force approach!
- Also if connected via ethernet. There's probably a "Network" preference setting to turn off connectivity (it's been a very long time since I used ethernet).

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Email Client for Mavericks | g5 power pc worthless? »