g5 power pc worthless?
    just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8... no flash update available... no vids, no audio... is there no hope for this pc? Its fast enough but everything uses flash!!! Is an Intel based G5 with 10.6 or higher my only salvation?

Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    G5 is pre intel. 10.6 is however the last version with both PPC and Intel binaries. Therefore it is the best that that machine will ever get.
    You should be able to find a 10.6 install disc on eBay. Just don't expect to have support or development for 10.6 much longer.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    The G5 won't run 10.6

If you need/want to run the latest software your only choice is to upgrade to an Intel based machine.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    10.5.8 is the "newest" OS that will run on a Powermac G5.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyputzell View Post
    just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8...
    If these things were important to you...too bad you didn't come here first and asked these questions before buying.

My guess is...you didn't pay too much for it (I hope). It's still a fun machine to mess around on.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Try Flash Player 10.1 for older PowerPC models. That will be as good as it gets as later versions abandoned PowerPC for Intel models.

Archived Flash Player versions
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyputzell View Post
    just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8... no flash update available... no vids, no audio... is there no hope for this pc? Its fast enough but everything uses flash!!! Is an Intel based G5 with 10.6 or higher my only salvation?
    You mean an Intel-based Mac (no such thing as an Intel G5). Not sure if you're referring to an iMac, Mac mini or Power Mac, but the last PowerPC models of those are from early 2007 or so ... that's a loooong time ago, computer-wise!

(not to self: start spreading the "dog years = computer years" meme so that people understand better why they have to replace things every half-decade or so)

It should be no surprise that a seven-year-old PPC Mac works about as well as a seven-year-old PC. There is a flash version available for such old machines, but you'll still find that it doesn't work with a lot of newer Flash animation, plus you'll have oodles of security issues that haven't been fixed in the old versions ...

So I guess what I'm saying is yes -- if you want a machine that works with all the modern Internet technology, HD video, compatibility with the new mobile toys and so forth, you want something fairly recent (doesn't have to be brand new, but obviously the newer the better). I'm writing this on a 2009 MacBook Pro, and apart from the lame video card it does everything beautifully, so I'd suggest getting something from 2010 or newer for the best experience.

Specs:
    Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX
    I have a 2.5 GHz Quad G5 and I can watch flash all day long. Running 10.5.8. The quality is seriously lacking but it works. The one thing that I HATE about that computer is that it sucks with google. Everything is so slow with it.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    rfomlover: you could alleviate some of the pain by switching to the HTML5 settings for video from YouTube (et al) ...

Thread Information