New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading to Mavericks from Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Felicity

Felicity is on a distinguished road

Is it safe to install Mavericks on my iMac ? I have Snow Leopard and use Adobe CS4 for my graphic programs. I have heard Mavericks may be a problem with the Adobe software.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Is it safe to install Mavericks on my iMac ? I have Snow Leopard and use Adobe CS4 for my graphic programs. I have heard Mavericks may be a problem with the Adobe software.
Thanks.
There are tons of iMac models. We have no idea what model iMac you have...or if it can even run Mavericks.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Felicity

Sorry....below is the info.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.44f0
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thanks for the iMac info...that helps. It will definitely run Mavericks.

Regarding the Mavericks/Adobe/CS4 question. It's not about Mavericks being a problem with Adobe software...it's about using the proper version of Adobe software (versions that are compatible with Mavericks).

In your case with Adobe CS4...you are in luck...it IS supposed to be compatible with Mavericks.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Felicity

Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Adobe CS4 works fine under Mavericks. See:
RoaringApps

You can look up all of your other software for compatibility with Mavericks here:
RoaringApps - Application compatibility and feature support for OS X and iOS

However, any and all applications that were written for the PowerPC processor that were running in Snow Leopard thanks to Rosetta, won't run under Mavericks. Rosetta was discontinued after Snow Leopard.

So, if you use and love AppleWorks or Eudora, for instance, you will have to say goodbye to them with the upgrade to Mavericks, and switch to an alternative program.

You can tell if an application is a PowerPC application by highlighting it’s icon in the Finder, and choosing File menu —> Get Info. In the Get Info window, under General, if it is a PowerPC application in will say so under Kind.

You can check *all* of your applications simultaneously by opening System Profiler (in the /Applications/Utilities folder; or in:
Apple menu --> About This Mac --> More Info)
click on the disclose triangle next to Software, choose Applications, then click on the Kind column to sort by kind.

An application that has a Kind of “Universal” or “Intel” will most likely run fine in Lion and later. Any application that is “Classic” or “PowerPC” won’t.

If you would like to generate a text file that lists all of the PowerPC applications on your hard drive, complete with the path to get to each of these applications, copy and paste this line into the Terminal application (in your ~/Applications/Utlities folder), hit return, and then be patient and let it run for a few minutes before opening the text file that will instantly be generated on the desktop.

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -A4 PowerPC > ~/Desktop/Applications_Report.txt

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
jackolantern28

jackolantern28 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2x eMac 1ghz

Word of advice.
Do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9 as when upgrading it can leave too much mess and make the machine slow.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolantern28 View Post
Word of advice.
Do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9 as when upgrading it can leave too much mess and make the machine slow.
But make sure to do a complete backup first!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

And if you do a clean install, you'll need to provide your registration information for CS4 again when you run it the first time. (You may need to do that even if you don't do a clean install.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ed with OS X 10.9.2 | Snow Leopard maintenance »