New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - Very Slow At Times

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aroy11462

aroy11462 is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac running on version 10.9.2. The processor is an Intel Core I4 (2.7 GHz) and 4 GB of RAM. At times the operating system is very slow to the point where I can't do anything. I can hear the computer spinning quite a bit when this happens. The problem is much less after I reboot. Does this IMac need to restarted regularly. If so how I often? I typically rarely restart it. I have an older macbook air with less RAM and a slower processor that never has issues with speed and freezing up. Any other suggestions to optimize performance of the IMac would be greatly appreciated as well.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How full is your hard drive and when was the last time you performed maintenance clean up on it? We only recommend one tool to perform maintenance cleanup: OnyX which is free. The link is for the version that works with Mavericks. Run OnyX in automatic mode and be sure to read the instructions first. Let us know if that helps speed things up for you.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-05-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: removed cnet link since they're pre-loading malware now
QUOTE Thanks
aroy11462

aroy11462 is on a distinguished road

My hard drive has 850 GB of 1000 GB free. Should I use disk utility to run verify disk. I wasn't sure; especially since my mac did not come with a reboot disk.
QUOTE Thanks
shunhook

shunhook is on a distinguished road

The trouble with downloading OnyX is that it wants to make Yahoo my home page, along with other alterations. The only way I can get rid of that condition appears to be by doing a custom install, and I am not competent to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Where are you downloading it? I've NEVER had Onyx try to change anything. Custom install? It's a drag-n-drop to the Applications folder.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunhook View Post
The trouble with downloading OnyX is that it wants to make Yahoo my home page, along with other alterations. The only way I can get rid of that condition appears to be by doing a custom install, and I am not competent to do that.
The link "chscag" provided works just fine (you should click on the "direct link download" area). But if you prefer...use this link:

Titanium's Software • Index page

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Removed the Cnet link and inserted Titanium's above - Cnet is now auto installing what most of us would consider malware in the form of changing your home page, search engine and installing multiple adware extensions in Safari, Firefox and Chrome unless you catch it.

Guess we now have another download site to stay away from - or at least make sure you read all the fine print.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
shunhook

Thanks everyone. I have now downloaded from the Titanium site. I arrived at the original site by clcking the link. Curiously, I did not have the same result the second time, but reached Titanium.

I note that in doing its checks the program has found that I do not have SMART. Should I?

Shunhook
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you saying SMART says Failed? If so that means BACK UP your data and NOW because the hard drive is about to fail.

How long have you owned the iMac? Does it still have Apple Care?
QUOTE Thanks
shunhook

I hope I am not creating a stir over something I have misunderstood. If so, apologies.
The message I get when I invoke the OnyX program to check on SMART is:
"The SMART status was not verified because it is not supported by this hard disk"
This suggested to me that SMART was not present.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is the message on the Internal drive that is built into the iMac? That is normally a message you would get from an external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
shunhook

I assume that is so. I have an external back-up drive. Is there a way of discovering which drive the OnyX program is looking at? I take it that my Mac would have SMART program?
QUOTE Thanks
Herman Hamm

Herman Hamm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2010 OSX 10.9.2 & iMac 2014 OSX 10.9.2

I saw this thread. Also want to try to clean the Mac. A Mac Book Pro 2010 running Mavericks. I went to titanium and downloaded the version for Maveriks. It said to drag the icon into either apps folder or the utility folder IN apps. I put it in the utility folder. When I click on it, I get a box that says it cannot be opened because it is from an unknown developer.
Herman

herman
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's a "Gate Keeper" warning which is a security feature built into OS X. Since we know OnyX is good application, right click on it and select open. It will then go ahead and install as per normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Herman Hamm

Herman Hamm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2010 OSX 10.9.2 & iMac 2014 OSX 10.9.2

thanks chscag

herman
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DNS Solution Yahoo Error Handler | Is this an OS or hardware problem? »