New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger Dual Boot Quad G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rfomlover

rfomlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX

So its my understanding that I need a "certain" type of tiger to run on my Quad G5? Can someone tell me which version it is so I know which one to get? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomlover View Post
So its my understanding that I need a "certain" type of tiger to run on my Quad G5? Can someone tell me which version it is so I know which one to get? Thanks.
There is only on kind of "Tiger"...and that is OS 10.4. Your Powermac G5 (quad cpu) can run OS versions between 10.4.2 and 10.5.8.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rfomlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There is only on kind of "Tiger"...and that is OS 10.4. Your Powermac G5 (quad cpu) can run OS versions between 10.4.2 and 10.5.8.

- Nick
While you are correct, I have 10.4.11 that a buddy let me use and it has a kernel panic when the disc boots. Apparently there was a different tiger disc for the later G5s. I was reading about it earlier today.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While you are correct, I have 10.4.11 that a buddy let me use and it has a kernel panic when the disc boots. Apparently there was a different tiger disc for the later G5s. I was reading about it earlier today.
Have you had this computer for a while (operating fine)...or is it a "new to you" computer?

If it's a "new to you" computer...maybe the kernel panics are not related to the OS or the disk you're using. If the kernel panics are hardware related...then all the "special" Tiger discs won't help.

Can you link us to what you read about the later G5's needing a different Tiger disc?

- Nick

p.s. And I do not think that there was ever an OS 10.4.11 disk. Something earlier yes...and then there was a downloaded update to 10.4.11. Also, you are supposed to use your own disks...not someone else's.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Sounds like your buddy has set you up with a silver grey Tiger disc. Note they are extremely model specific and will not boot your G5 unless it is an identical model released at the same time. You need to get a black full retail install DVD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
rfomlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Sounds like your buddy has set you up with a silver grey Tiger disc. Note they are extremely model specific and will not boot your G5 unless it is an identical model released at the same time. You need to get a black full retail install DVD.
I have has this computer running fine with leopard just wanted to install tiger for nostalgic purposes. Guess ill have to find a black disk.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have has this computer running fine with leopard just wanted to install tiger for nostalgic purposes. Guess ill have to find a black disk.
10.5 "Leopard" is certainly going to be better (compatibility with the most recent software available for a Powermac G5).

Of course if you need to run 10.4 for some sort of compatibility reasons with older software...that's totally understandable.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
rfomlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
10.5 "Leopard" is certainly going to be better (compatibility with the most recent software available for a Powermac G5).

Of course if you need to run 10.4 for some sort of compatibility reasons with older software...that's totally understandable.

- Nick
Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
What software wouldn't run in Leopard that ran in Tiger?
Really old stuff...or older versions of old stuff. Such as something that needed 10.1 or 10.2 when it was first released...and maxed out with OS 10.4.

But this was just a hypothetical...doesn't really sound like the OP's goal.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clean install of Snow Leopard | MB pro with Mavericks not sleeping »