New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is this an OS or hardware problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mark F

Mark F is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 8.1, 4 gig RAM, 3.06 MHz Intel Dual Core, 500 gig HD

Lately my iMac occasionally (about once or twice a day) slows down to the point that I cannot do anything at all. The internal hard disk just keeps trundling for a while, sometimes as long as ten minutes. I took a screen shot of the Activity MOnitor while this is happening but do not really understand what I am looking at and do not see how to attach it anyway, Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on an iMac. RAM is maxed out at 4G. THe 500G hard disk has 95G free.

THanks.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

With the info so far...it could still be hardware or software. There is always the possibility that a hard drive could be failing (hardware)...or it could be something software/OS related.

First question...how often do you reboot/restart the computer?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

That screen shot of Activity Monitor could have been very helpful.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mark F

I reboot approximately weekly and have done so since I bought the iMac a few years back.

Is there a way to upload an attachment? I do not see it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I reboot approximately weekly and have done so since I bought the iMac a few years back.

Is there a way to upload an attachment? I do not see it.
The info from Activity Monitor I'm looking for...is the size of the "Swap File" and "Page-Outs".

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mark F

Nick,

Sorry but I do not see those captions. I have the settings at "Active Processes" and Disk Activity.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sorry but I do not see those captions. I have the settings at "Active Processes" and Disk Activity.
Click on the "System Memory" tab at the bottom of the window.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mark F

Ok, thanks. I will do that the next time this happens which will likely be tomorrow.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Lately my iMac occasionally (about once or twice a day) slows down to the point that I cannot do anything at all. The internal hard disk just keeps trundling for a while, sometimes as long as ten minutes.
Lots more info would help.

Have you noticed if it does this at *the exact same time* each day?

Are you using TimeMachine?

Does it clear up if you immediately restart your Mac?

How big is your hard drive, and how full is it?

Have you very recently updated your Mac's OS to a newer version?

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
Have you noticed if it does this at *the exact same time* each day?

Are you using TimeMachine?
Could be onto something here.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Another question that I just thought of. I should have asked it first:

Do you have anti-virus software installed?

If so, use the developer's uninstaller program to uninstall it (it is unlikely that you can uninstall it completely just by dragging its icon to the Trash), and see if things get better. More than likely they will.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
Mark F

I've been waiting for it to happen today and so far not yet. It's not regular, happening at different times of the day. When it happens I will grab a screen shot.

Time machine does slow things down but this happens when TM is not running (the clock icon on top is not spinning).

I have a 500 gig hard disk with 98 gigs free. Anti-virus software is not installed on the Mac side. I run XP under Pareallels and do have Norton installed there, but this has been the case since I bought the iMac. The slowdown occurs both on the Mac and Parallels side and when it occurs when I'm in Parallels I can see that XP is not using the hard disk. There is a little icon on the bottom of the Parallels screen that shows when it is accessing the hard disk.

At first I thought I might have a key logging virus and someone was accessing my hard disk so I turned Airport off. Sometimes this would cure the problem in a minute or two but not always so I do not think that is the issue. Rebooting does seem to help for a while but within a half hour or hour it starts again.

I still use Snow Leopard since my iMac is maxed out at 4gigs of ram and would not do well with Maverick. Probably time for a newer machine but that is not in the budget until maybe the Fall.

Thanks to all for your help.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I've been waiting for it to happen today and so far not yet. It's not regular, happening at different times of the day. When it happens I will grab a screen shot.
The Activity Monitor info I needed does not need this sporatic slow down you're experiencing to occur. The Activity Monitor info (swap file & page outs)...is something that builds & builds & builds over time.

So a single slow down event is not what triggers anything related to the Activity Monitor info I was seeking. Hours & hours & hours of use is what this info is dependent on.

This is why I was expecting to get this info yesterday. So we can move on if this is or isn't the source of the issue.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How old is the hard drive as with it not being consistent with slowdown or associated with any particular app I would suspect a hard drive on its way out.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark F

Sorry Nick. Obviously I do not really understand this stuff. Anyway, the "page Outs" is 12.20 gig and the "Swap Used" is 3.34 gig.

OSXX, the drive is almost 6 years old, the same age as the iMac.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac - Very Slow At Times | Software update won't let me update »