New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need external hard drive for Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Movingon

Movingon is on a distinguished road

Do i need an external hard drive to backup Time Machine
on iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You could use a partition on an internal drive but I don't really like the idea. Having your data and the backup on the same drive means that a drive failure ruins the initial data and the backup.

Time Machine can work with an external drive, a second internal drive, or a network device.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Yes, you do need an external drive. Time Machine is just the app that performs the backups and allows you to browse through them and restore files from your backups. It's like going back in time, get it?

Don't spend extra on a hard drive just because it says it is just for Macs. Pretty much any drive can be reformatted with Disk Utility on your Mac before you perform your first backup. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do that if you are a visual person.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

As stated above if the day your hard drive fails, and they all will sooner or later, you will lose your backup as well. Personally prefer cloning on to the external hard drive. If you provide computer details can advise if you should go UBS2, USB3, Thunderbolt or Firewire.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Wardy

Wardy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB 1TB Serial ATA Drive AMD Radeon HD 697

I back up my 2011 i7 27 inch iMac running OS 10.9.2 to an external WD Elements 1TB drive which I bought for around $75-$80 then reformatted as stated above. I also have an emergency start up drive created on an 8GB USB drive. Haven't had to use either yet although I suppose I am tempting fate by saying that!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You'll learn Wardy you'll learn tempting the IT gods like that!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Movingon

Movingon is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the helpful answers.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingon View Post
Thank you all for the helpful answers.
Hi Movingon - take heed of this great advice, i.e. at the very minimum you need an external HD running Time Machine (TM) for a basic backup (BU) - BUT also redundant BUs especially of your important personal files should be done. Before continuing, please let us know your needs? Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting for "Securely Empty Trash" ? | Macbook A 1181 »