New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

hexed by a kext

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crisscross

crisscross is on a distinguished road

I kept getting a message on my last computer:
"CNQL2410_ClassicNotSeize.kext was not properly installed" and am less than pleased it has migrated to my current one (unlike all my email information, which had to be transferred bit by bit)

Does anyone know what this, if it has any importance whatever, and how to get rid of it for good?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

What version OS X are you running? What machine? Also have a look at this: osx - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Error CNQL2410_ClassicNotSeize.kext was installed improperly - Super User

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
crisscross

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
What version OS X are you running? What machine? Also have a look at this: osx - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Error CNQL2410_ClassicNotSeize.kext was installed improperly - Super User
That discussion pinning it down to Canon Lide 500f scanner makes sense; I do have one, the problem probably does date back to when I was on 10.6.8 and Canon have long abandoned updating the software for the scanner. The scanner works perfectly well none the less

I am running 10.8.5 on MacBook Pro 17" 2011

So sounds a harmless thing we just live with unless anyone know where it hides and can be winkled out from
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just try deleting that kext and see if the scanner still works. If it is an old PPC kext, it's not doing anything on your new Mac. Dump it in the trash and see if the scanner is still working before emptying.

Maybe look in System - Library - Extensions

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 03-31-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Scanner drivers from 10.6.8 possibly wont even work on 10.8.5 and definitely not PPC drivers. It's probably using the native Apple driver anyway.

What Bob said, move from System/Library/Extensions and restart. Try to scan. if it works empty the trash.

I recommend Vuescan to scan with. It's not free but you don't necessarily need the Pro version.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
crisscross

Yes it is located where BobTomy suggested. I had not actually had a cause to scan since moving to this computer and it didn't fancy it with or without the kext.

As it had behaved a bit erratically on the core2duo machine + 10.8.5, I thought it was probably time I re-started with both VueScan and Canon driver so re-installed both. Now works fine

Will have to wait and see if the dreaded message recurs and then maybe try removing the kext as suggested by Cradom
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Diskutil is unable to see NTFS and FAT32 partitions (need to format the HD) | MicroSoft word "error" »