Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mac Book Air

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
    Mac Book Air
    I have owned a new Mac Book air for about 4 - 5 months. I have had a constant problem when typing. I'm a 'one finger' typist! But I never had this problem with my previous Mac Book Pro. During my typing I find that the spacebar has failed to space, and two or three words could be without spacing.

    Obviously, the keyboard is requiring more 'pressure' than I'm applying.

    I have searched for a 'pressure sensitive' setting, but cannot find such a setting.

    Is there such a setting available on the MacBook Air?

    Dewij

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,238
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    There is no pressure sensitive setting for the keyboard. You'll just have to get used to it or buy an external keyboard to use with your MBA when at home.

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,521
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewij View Post
    Is there such a setting available on the MacBook Air?
    I don't think so...I've never seen a setting like that. I don't know if you eat around your MacBook Air. Maybe some food particles got under the space bar...OR...since the computer is new...maybe it needs some "breaking in".

    It shouldn't need breaking in...just throwing that out there.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4

    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,585
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewij View Post
    I have owned a new Mac Book air for about 4 - 5 months. I have had a constant problem when typing. I'm a 'one finger' typist! But I never had this problem with my previous Mac Book Pro. During my typing I find that the spacebar has failed to space, and two or three words could be without spacing.

    Obviously, the keyboard is requiring more 'pressure' than I'm applying.

    I have searched for a 'pressure sensitive' setting, but cannot find such a setting.
    Hello and welcome to the forum! In addition to the excellent posts already provided, try visiting an Apple store & typing on some other MBAs, just to make sure that your computer's keyboard is working similarly?

    Plus, you might want to alter your typing practices - I'm an oldie and took typing in high school so adapting to a computer keyboard (for me in 1980 w/ an Apple II+) was no problem - I hit the spacebar w/ my right thumb (and w/ a good thump!) - so maybe some slight adjustments in your typing might help? Good luck - Dave

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
    MacBook Air
    Thanks all of you who responded to my question re keyboard pressure - as suggested - I'll just have to persevere.

    Thanks,
    Dewij

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
    Still on the same subject Mac Book Air, but a couple of further issues one of which has persisted since purchasing the MB air a few months ago. The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues. The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)

    Dewij

  7. #7

    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,585
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewij View Post
    Still on the same subject Mac Book Air, but a couple of further issues one of which has persisted since purchasing the MB air a few months ago. The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues..............j
    Hi Dewij - concerning the above, you need to provide some further information: 1) What download speeds are you & your friend obtaining on your computers - check w/ Speed Test and post back? and 2) Are either or both of you able to do Face Time w/ others without a problem? I suspect that connection speed is the issue, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewij View Post
    ............The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)
    If you permit your batteries to completely drain, then a 5-10 minute charge is usually needed before the computer responds (same happens on an iPad) - see the quote below from an Apple Support Article - Dave

    If the battery in your MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro is fully drained of power, the battery will put itself into a low power state to preserve its ability to charge in the future. Connect your Mac Notebook to AC power and allow it to charge for at least five minutes. If the connect to power screen persists after charging for five minutes, reset the SMC...

  8. #8

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,238
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    We'll tackle the second issue first:

    The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)
    This is normal. Since the MacBook Air battery is part of the power circuitry and it remains in the machine, it takes a while for the power flow to build up to allow the machine to reboot and start its normal charging cycle. This is not good for the battery by the way. If possible, don't let it go flat to the point where the machine turns off.

    The same thing occurs with my iPhone. If I let the charge go to zero, the phone will turn off and I'm unable to turn it on to where it's useable until the charge reaches 25% which may take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.

    The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues.
    Hard wiring their computer to the modem does not necessarily mean a stronger signal will occur. The signal still has to go from their machine to your MacBook Air. The symptoms you stated which are happening do indicate a weak or broken signal. You might wish to try Skype instead to see if the signal is any better.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
    Thank you for your two responses, I'm in the process of acquiring the speeds you requested, mine is as follows: D/L 4.97, U/L 0.96 Mbps. I'm still awaiting the speeds from my UK contact. I will report back as soon as I have these answers.
    Thanks

    Dewij

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Dewij: that's a little slow for reliable video transmission. I'm at triple that (~15Mb down, 2Mb up) and have very smooth video conferencing, even wireless.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
    MacBook Air
    I have some more speeds, the first checked and provided by my IP D/L 5.5 U/L 1.00.the second using a test provided by my IP, (bll.ca/speedcheckup) and carried out myself, D/L 5.03 U/L 0.90. The third checked on the UK Mac, using the speed checker provided by my IP, D/l 7.85 U/L 0.66.

    I questioned the optiumum figure for my internet, and was told for the D/L a speed of 6.00 is average. I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.

    Tks. Dewij.

  12. #12

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,238
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.
    They figured wrong. The speeds member chas_m quoted can commonly be had on a fast cable line or even DSL. Fiber Optic speeds are much faster. I have a Fiber Optic connection and mine are 50 down and 35 up. Some are even much faster than that.

  13. #13

    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,585
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewij View Post
    I have some more speeds, the first checked and provided by my IP D/L 5.5 U/L 1.00.the second using a test provided by my IP, (bll.ca/speedcheckup) and carried out myself, D/L 5.03 U/L 0.90. The third checked on the UK Mac, using the speed checker provided by my IP, D/l 7.85 U/L 0.66.

    I questioned the optiumum figure for my internet, and was told for the D/L a speed of 6.00 is average. I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.
    Hi again Dewij - I'm on Time Warner cable and just checked my Dl/Ul speed (see attached pic) - this was on my MBPro laptop on the porch 2 rooms from the location of my Wi-Fi router - 20 Mbps is typical DL speed for me (although will vary as others in the neighborhood get online); my UL speeds have always been about a 1/10 slower.

    So, 'wired' connections can certainly give speeds faster than you are obtaining from your ISP - not sure what other options you may have in your locale? Dave
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac book pro vs Mac book air
    By Kittyf in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
  2. Mac Book Air
    By maureesk in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
  3. Considering iPad of Mac Book Air
    By rm250mx in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
  4. Mac book Air frustration
    By thumpy in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •