Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maverick Upgrade?

Maverick Upgrade?
    I have an iMac 24" MA878LL/A 2008 vintage . V. 10.6.8
    I have a new hard drive with only the original software, no data yet. Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.

Here are the specs: 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
    2.25 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Last edited by kittywee; 03-29-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: adding specs

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by kittywee View Post
    Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.
    Do some searching & reading here. I think you will get a different answer.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.5
    Mavericks is a very worthwhile update as far as I am concerned.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Whatever you read on the 'net about anything, half it and take away the balance to get somewhere near the truth.

Mavericks is fast and rock steady.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 03-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I'm running it on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. It has been rock solid for me (especially since I replaced a failing hard drive).
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I've been through every OS update and upgrade on my mid-2008 MBP (began with Leopard). Mavericks is the fastest, smoothest, most stable one yet.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Maverick Upgrade?

Desktop iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Do some searching & reading here. I think you will get a different answer.

- Nick
    Thanks Nick, but most of the things I read refer to MBP or similar laptops, whereas mine is the iMac w/24" screen. Does this make that much difference? The processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    Thanks Nick, but most of the things I read refer to MBP or similar laptops, whereas mine is the iMac w/24" screen. Does this make that much difference? The processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo.
    Like I said. We have had multiple threads discussing this...and each time a new thread discussing this same topic pops up...we get a variety of folks with a variety of computers (models & vintage) with pretty much everyone saying Mavericks is running just fine.

If you seriously have a concern that Mavericks will not be stable on your computer (from "things" that you've read)...then don't install Mavericks. Install 10.6.8 like you had before...or upgrade to 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    I have a new hard drive with only the original software, no data yet. Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.
    By the way...give me a subject (any subject)...and I'll find something negative on the internet written about it. In this case the Mavericks OS. Folks (all the time) misdiagnose a problem with their computer...and blame the problem on the wrong things.

If you've read "things"...please link us to a creditable review/website that mentions that Mavericks has well-known compatibility issues with older Macintosh computers (laptops or desktops). Not a link to a single user on a single internet forum having computer issues...who has probably misdiagnosed a problem on their computer.

- Nick

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    Maybe I'm wrong...but I'm pretty darn sure you don't have "2.25gig" of ram. Usually it's an even number like 2gig, 4gig, 8gig, etc.

And by the way. I probably wouldn't recommend upgrading a computer with only 2gig of ram to Mavericks. 2gig is the absolute minimum...and it's possible you may run into performance issues (slow). A ram upgrade would help.

- Nick

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:

Are you absolutely sure these are your computers specs?? I cannot find an iMac computer that is 2008 vintage that has:

- a 24" display
    - 2.0ghz core 2 duo cpu

24" display and a 2.4ghz cpu...YES. 20" display and 2.0ghz cpu...YES. But no 24" display and 2.0ghz cpu.

- Nick

Maverick Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Like I said. We have had multiple threads discussing this...and each time a new thread discussing this same topic pops up...we get a variety of folks with a variety of computers (models & vintage) with pretty much everyone saying Mavericks is running just fine.

If you seriously have a concern that Mavericks will not be stable on your computer (from "things" that you've read)...then don't install Mavericks. Install 10.6.8 like you had before...or upgrade to 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

- Nick
    Pilot error, as usual. It is a 2.4GHZ. I also have a 20" w/ 2.0GHZ, same vintage, same software!
    It definitely states 2.25GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM on the system profile.

Maverick Upgrade?

Maverick upgrade
    So is it really that easy, just go to App Store, DL Maverick for free, and install, letting the computer do all the work, then your up and going. No other issues, worries, everything that is already on your puter, files, photos, bookmarks, etc are still there with no loss...?

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by P226kc View Post
    So is it really that easy, just go to App Store, DL Maverick for free, and install, letting the computer do all the work, then your up and going. No other issues, worries, everything that is already on your puter, files, photos, bookmarks, etc are still there with no loss...?
    Sometimes, yes. If your computer already has problems, maybe not. Then again, even with no current problems, there's no guarantee there won't be problems with an upgrade. But millions of people (I suppose) have jumped up to Mavericks with no issues.

Maverick Upgrade?
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Best practice is to make a backup of anything important just in case there are are problems. I've done numerous updates without backing up but it's not the smartest thing I've done. Couple of questions / suggestions:

1. Are you planning to run any older PowerPC software? If so remember that 10.6.8 was the last OS version that could run that software.

2. If you are concerned about whether you will like Mavericks or have problems use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy of the current setup before starting the upgrade. If you don't like it you can use the clone to restore your system to its current state.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information