New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Maverick Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kittywee

kittywee is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac 24" MA878LL/A 2008 vintage . V. 10.6.8
I have a new hard drive with only the original software, no data yet. Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.

Here are the specs: 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
2.25 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Last edited by kittywee; 03-29-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: adding specs
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywee View Post
Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.
Do some searching & reading here. I think you will get a different answer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Mavericks is a very worthwhile update as far as I am concerned.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Whatever you read on the 'net about anything, half it and take away the balance to get somewhere near the truth.

Mavericks is fast and rock steady.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Last edited by harryb2448; 03-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm running it on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. It has been rock solid for me (especially since I replaced a failing hard drive).

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I've been through every OS update and upgrade on my mid-2008 MBP (began with Leopard). Mavericks is the fastest, smoothest, most stable one yet.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
kittywee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Do some searching & reading here. I think you will get a different answer.

- Nick
Thanks Nick, but most of the things I read refer to MBP or similar laptops, whereas mine is the iMac w/24" screen. Does this make that much difference? The processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Nick, but most of the things I read refer to MBP or similar laptops, whereas mine is the iMac w/24" screen. Does this make that much difference? The processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo.
Like I said. We have had multiple threads discussing this...and each time a new thread discussing this same topic pops up...we get a variety of folks with a variety of computers (models & vintage) with pretty much everyone saying Mavericks is running just fine.

If you seriously have a concern that Mavericks will not be stable on your computer (from "things" that you've read)...then don't install Mavericks. Install 10.6.8 like you had before...or upgrade to 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have a new hard drive with only the original software, no data yet. Should I upgrade to Maverick now, I read it is not stable on the older machines.
By the way...give me a subject (any subject)...and I'll find something negative on the internet written about it. In this case the Mavericks OS. Folks (all the time) misdiagnose a problem with their computer...and blame the problem on the wrong things.

If you've read "things"...please link us to a creditable review/website that mentions that Mavericks has well-known compatibility issues with older Macintosh computers (laptops or desktops). Not a link to a single user on a single internet forum having computer issues...who has probably misdiagnosed a problem on their computer.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong...but I'm pretty darn sure you don't have "2.25gig" of ram. Usually it's an even number like 2gig, 4gig, 8gig, etc.

And by the way. I probably wouldn't recommend upgrading a computer with only 2gig of ram to Mavericks. 2gig is the absolute minimum...and it's possible you may run into performance issues (slow). A ram upgrade would help.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

Are you absolutely sure these are your computers specs?? I cannot find an iMac computer that is 2008 vintage that has:

- a 24" display
- 2.0ghz core 2 duo cpu

24" display and a 2.4ghz cpu...YES. 20" display and 2.0ghz cpu...YES. But no 24" display and 2.0ghz cpu.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kittywee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Like I said. We have had multiple threads discussing this...and each time a new thread discussing this same topic pops up...we get a variety of folks with a variety of computers (models & vintage) with pretty much everyone saying Mavericks is running just fine.

If you seriously have a concern that Mavericks will not be stable on your computer (from "things" that you've read)...then don't install Mavericks. Install 10.6.8 like you had before...or upgrade to 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

- Nick
Pilot error, as usual. It is a 2.4GHZ. I also have a 20" w/ 2.0GHZ, same vintage, same software!
It definitely states 2.25GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM on the system profile.
QUOTE Thanks
P226kc

P226kc is on a distinguished road

So is it really that easy, just go to App Store, DL Maverick for free, and install, letting the computer do all the work, then your up and going. No other issues, worries, everything that is already on your puter, files, photos, bookmarks, etc are still there with no loss...?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P226kc View Post
So is it really that easy, just go to App Store, DL Maverick for free, and install, letting the computer do all the work, then your up and going. No other issues, worries, everything that is already on your puter, files, photos, bookmarks, etc are still there with no loss...?
Sometimes, yes. If your computer already has problems, maybe not. Then again, even with no current problems, there's no guarantee there won't be problems with an upgrade. But millions of people (I suppose) have jumped up to Mavericks with no issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Best practice is to make a backup of anything important just in case there are are problems. I've done numerous updates without backing up but it's not the smartest thing I've done. Couple of questions / suggestions:

1. Are you planning to run any older PowerPC software? If so remember that 10.6.8 was the last OS version that could run that software.

2. If you are concerned about whether you will like Mavericks or have problems use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy of the current setup before starting the upgrade. If you don't like it you can use the clone to restore your system to its current state.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some mystifying developments: | External hard drive files greater than 4gb »