New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Edit OSX Version Number to install programs from App Store

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jingle

Jingle is on a distinguished road

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a user could "trick" the OS to think it is 10.9
so as to allow for programs relegated to 10.9+ to be installed.
After searching for this information again, I am coming up short.
Does anyone have any info on this
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No and I'm not sure you'd want to that. Not only is that solution bound to break but most software has a minimum OS requirement because previous versions aren't technologically supported.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do you have reasons for not upgrading your computer to OS 10.9 (I know that this is possible for compatibility reasons with other apps)? Or is your computer not capable of running OS 10.9?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Jingle

Thanks guys.

I'm sure that OS updates would "break" the bypass. But I'm happy to redo it if/when that happens.
There are a few reasons for not updating to 10.9, but to be honest, they are not very relevant.

I know that there was a method for doing this that changed the version number in the "behind the scenes" files as well as in the About This Mac panel.

Jon
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'll provide a couple links that discuss how to do this. The information MAY be outdated and may not even "trick" the App Store in particular. Proceed AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Tutorial: Change the OS X Version by modifying systemversion.plist
Change the version number - Mac OS X Hints
QUOTE Thanks
Jingle

Tutorial: Change the OS X Version by modifying systemversion.plist

This is pretty similar to what I had seen before, though I had seen a newer synopsis for Mountain Lion. Thanks lifeisabeach. My web searching skills are dull it seems. I'll keep looking, when I get some time, to see if this still works or if there is anything more modern out there.

I appreciate the help guys. I'll give it a whirl this weekend when I have a few hours to tinker.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install Epson Perfection Scanner 1240U | Mail - cannot save draft... »