New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 not USB 3.0

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

linolopes

linolopes is on a distinguished road

Hello Experts,

I have a MacBoot Air (mid 2012) under Mavericks.

When I connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to it via the Samsung supplied usb 3.0 cable, go to System Information and check the connected USB devices, it shows the smartphone connected as a usb 2.0 device.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
Lino
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The phone specs clearly show that it's Micro USB 3 capable and also USB 2.0 capable in case USB 3 is not available. I suspect you need to install the Samsung Kies software in order for everything to work right and also sync the phone. I may be wrong about that but it won't hurt to try since the software is free from Samsung. Download from here.
QUOTE Thanks
linolopes

Unfortunatelly installing Kies has not solved the problem. Mavericks still sees my Note 3 as a usb 2.0 device.

I have tried three different cables.

Please see attached image.

What now?

Regards,
Lino
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB.jpg (139.1 KB, 25 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure exactly what your screen shot is saying in English, but it looks to me that it's showing your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as attached to the High Speed USB Hub. I guess that means USB 2?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, it is saying that your hub is USB 2.
QUOTE Thanks
linolopes

Yes, looking at the MAC OSX System Information:

Samsung Android is my phone. It is under "Barramento Hi-speed USB", which in English means "Hi-Speed USB hub". This is an USB 2.0 bus.

The phone should appear under "Barramento SuperSpeed USB 3.0", which in English is "SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub".

In other words, it seems my phone is not being recognized as an USB 3.0 device by MAC OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Does it detect other USB devices as USB 3.0 (if you have any?).
QUOTE Thanks
linolopes

Yes, I have an external HDD which is 3.0. It appears under "Barramento SuperSpeed USB 3.0", which in English is "SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub".

Please see attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: png Captura de Tela 2014-03-20 às 14.33.25.png (182.0 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If you installed Kies and the Galaxy is syncing properly with your Mac, then there may be something about the phone's hardware profile that makes the system think it's a USB 2 device. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that. Perhaps you can contact Samsung support and ask them about it? They may have a resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Did you try to plug the phone into the USB port the external hard drive is plugged into?

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
linolopes

I plugged my USB 3.0 external hard drive into the USB port. The System Information showed it as an USB 3.0 device, as shown in the image above.

Then I ejected the HDD and, replaced it by my Note 3 using the same cable and usb por I used for the HDD.

Nevertheless, the phone appeared in System Information as a usb 2.0 device exactly as shown in the first image above.

In other words, I replaced the HDD by the phone and the connection hub changed from the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to the Hi-Speed USB 2.0 hub...
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Is the external HD powered by a plug or by the USB port? Did you see this thread Galaxy Note 3 - USB 3.0 charging/mac issues - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That particular thread in the Android forum is driven by an Apple hater and by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about. Not useful.

Anyway, I really see no problem if the Galaxy is not recognized as a USB 3 device as long as it syncs with the Mac and can be charged. Hard drives matter because of the amount of data flowing; obviously faster is better there. However, I can understand the OP's concern since the Galaxy is advertised as a USB 3 device.
QUOTE Thanks
linolopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That particular thread in the Android forum is driven by an Apple hater and by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about. Not useful.

Anyway, I really see no problem if the Galaxy is not recognized as a USB 3 device as long as it syncs with the Mac and can be charged. Hard drives matter because of the amount of data flowing; obviously faster is better there. However, I can understand the OP's concern since the Galaxy is advertised as a USB 3 device.
I'm sorry to disagree with you about this.

Although my Note 3 connects, syncs, charges and even serves as a 4G modem to my MacBook Air, I also transfer lots of media files between them and having USB 2.0 speeds with both USB 3.0 devices using an USB 3.0 cable is not acceptable at all!

And if you consider that with other USB 3.0 equipped computers my Note 3 connects via USB 3.0 without any problems...

Besides, this has made me the center of many jokes among my work colleagues who love to mock Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I don't know what to tell you then.... ? The best suggestion I can give you is the same as above, and that is to contact Samsung. Perhaps they may have a solution or know of one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Notifications in Mountain Lion... | iMac Memory Issues »