New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mavericks -- fan running high rpm.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

Twice today I noticed something:

When I was on my MB pro mid 2010 (core 2 duo); upgraded to Mavericks a few days ago.

Today (both times on the net) -- for some reason I noticed the computer got hot (around 180 degrees farenheit) and the fan crept up to as high as 3200 RPM (maybe even higher at times). I can hear the fan running. Normal rpm is around 1990--2000 rpm. I was doing nothing out of the ordinary; no extra software added (except I stat pro to tell me the the stats of the machine). As well I couldn't get any pages to load.

I sat there for a minute or two, thinking that if I shut off all the programs I was using it would go away, but it didn't.

The user CPU usage was around 55%, Idle was around 40%, System was around 3% and something called "Nice" was 0% (not sure what that is).

The cpu Temp is around 180, The heatsink B temperature gets up to around 146 or so.

I thought it might be that I was on a movie site, but the first time this happened I wasn't. In both cases I restarted or shut of off the machine and restarted it, and the problem went away.

Like I said, I don't have any downloaded software except NetNanny; maybe that's the problem, but when I first installed it I didn't have this problem. Anyone else experience this and have any advice?

I like Mavericks and there's no more support for SL, so I don't want to go back to it.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

I would uninstall NetNanny. Do you have a different user you can login under for testing?

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

ferrarr --

If you're asking whether or not I could create another account, yes -- I'm an administrator.

Interestingly enough. I had opened NeoOffice (forgot to say I use that, and I also downloaded Libre Office as well), when this was going on (just wanted to check one of my files) , and I couldn't open it. When I restarted my machine and tried to start NeoOffice, I got the login screen for NetNanny, but even after I logged in there, I couldn't open NeoOffice. I could briefly see the Neoffice menu, and the app would shut down. I'm downloading it again to check. What can you tell me about NetNanny? There's just some stuff I don't want to see on the net, and I was advised to get it. If that's the problem, do you know of any other filtering software for mac that I could use?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You're filtering ... yourself? That's a new one ...

Another thing to check is to make sure your Flash and Java are bang-up-to-date latest versions available (Adobe and Oracle, respectively). ISTR that NeoOffice needs Java, and Flash files can choke a web-surfing Mac like nothing I've ever seen.
QUOTE Thanks
michpara

michpara is on a distinguished road

Other filters for mac:

I prefer NetNanny, but if you need something else… you can try k9 or SafeEyes. I didn't like them because they are helpless with Google and Youtube. They don't block things if the user searches those things. It only prevents from seeing things accidentally… But I think that they work fine for that specific purpose. It depends on your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Ditch NetNanny and use Adblock with Safari. All you need.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm wondering if "nice" isn't a third-party add on that tries to re-regulate processor time for certain programs ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed regarding Backing up between drives! | Does adguard - adblocker work on safari? »