New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Uninstalling Mavericks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

captaindaring

captaindaring is on a distinguished road

I want to uninstall the Mavericks OS and go back to Snow Leopard. I have the original Snow Leopard install DVD that came with my computer but it won't allow me to use the install option because of Mavericks. Heck, I can't even get to the option to format my HDD.

How do I get rid of Mavericks and reinstall Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you boot the machine with your Snow Leopard install DVD? You should be able to boot from the DVD, skip the install process and go to the top menu: Utilities, Disk Utility. From there use Disk Utility to erase the drive but first make sure you remove the Mavericks recovery partition and get the drive setup again as one partition. After that, erase the drive, name it Macintosh HD, format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme.

After doing the above, continue to install Snow Leopard and all your apps from disk 2.
QUOTE Thanks
captaindaring

Yeah I was able to boot it from the install DVD. So just erasing the drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard won't solve the issue? I need to follow your advice and remove the Mavericks' recovery partition and get the drive setup again as one partition? How do I remove the recovery partition and set it up as one? I have never done anything like this before.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, in order to downgrade back to Snow Leopard you need to follow what I stated in my reply above. Removing the recovery partition is easy enough. Try following these directions.
QUOTE Thanks
captaindaring

Okay, i got you. I thought you were referring to something else. I know how to do it. All I need to do is erase the HDD and and it should work. That will get rid of any partitions I may have.Thanks for your info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disk Utility stuck on "skipping" | OS X Snow Leopard install issues »