New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cant get in to the recovery mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Toby80

Toby80 is on a distinguished road

Hi, i am trying to reinstall Maverick for my imac.

But every time i am trying to get in to the recovery mode, my Mac will just shut down or just reboots. Even when i try, to do a Internet recovery with "cmd+r" the Mac will just shut down. So there is no way, to get in to the recovery mode for me. Does anyone have a idea what i am doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Well, why are you trying to reinstall Mavericks?

I can hold Option and have the option to startup from my Recovery Partition. Have you tried that?

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system.

I can't get in to the Recovery Partition. When i click on the "Recovery Partition" it gets me to the point, where the Apple logo comes and its loading, then after a few seconds, it just shuts down the System and i have to reboot again.

I just downloaded the "OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0" i made a bootable usb stick. I reboot the System and select the "Recovery Disk Assistant" but same thing, it loads and after a few seconds, it just shuts down again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Firstly I wanted to mention that this process is better termed...trying to boot the computer into the Recovery Partition (not "recovery mode")...since the
"Recovery Partition" can do more than just reinstall the OS.

Doing the command + r keyboard combo should get you into your computers recovery partition. One other way is to hold down the "option" key. Then you select the HD partition you want to boot into. This may or may not produce the same results as command + r...but it is something you could try.

Depending on your reasons for reinstalling Mavericks...not being able to boot the computer into the recovery partition could be something to o with the HD itself...uch as the HD is dead or dying. But like I mentioned...this depends on your reason for the reinstall.

The recovery partition is a pretty "robust" area/partition. So it's usually an area that is pretty hard to mess up (not much you can do there to mess things up). If you cannot boot into the recovery partition properly...it may be a sign that the HD is messed up/not very "healthy".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby80 View Post
Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system.
This is really not providing us with much info to go on. What you say is "obvious"...is not obvious to us...because we cannot see what your computer is doing over the internet.

You need you to describe to us what "obvious" things your computer is or is not doing...so we can better help you determine what's wrong...and if reinstalling Mavericks via the recovery partition will even help solve the problems.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Try "Option + R" or "Control + R" to get to Internet Recovery.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Well i testet my HD with Smart Utility and it says my HD is just fine.
Otherwise my system seems to be running fine, so i don't think ist a HD problem.

Could it be a Virus, Malware etc. ?
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Try "Option + R" or "Control + R" to get to Internet Recovery.
I tried that as well, same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:

I can't get in to the Recovery Partition.
I think you more or less answered your own question with the first statement above. There is likely something very wrong if you can't boot to the Recovery Partition. Like Nick stated, it could be a bad hard drive or it could even be corruption. And no, it isn't a virus or malware.

Do you have an install disk to your Mac from a previous version of OS X? If not, you may have to erase the hard drive, reinstall Mavericks and hope the hard drive is OK.
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I think you more or less answered your own question with the first statement above. There is likely something very wrong if you can't boot to the Recovery Partition. Like Nick stated, it could be a bad hard drive or it could even be corruption.

Do you have an install disk to your Mac from a previous version of OS X? If you do, boot with it and verify the hard drive. If not, you may have to erase the hard drive, reinstall Mavericks and hope the hard drive is OK.
No i don't have a install Disk, i bought the Mac with Lion on it. But I made partition with Maverick.dmg on my HD. I did this before and it worked, but now i just can't get in to the Recovery Partition.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No i don't have a install Disk, i bought the Mac with Lion on it. But I made partition with Maverick.dmg on my HD. I did this before and it worked, but now i just can't get in to the Recovery Partition.
OK, let's see if we can follow you here.... Your Mac came pre-installed with Lion. Did you download and install Mavericks from the Mac App Store? Mavericks is only available from Apple and does not come or download as a .dmg. So where did you get Mavericks from?
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Yes that is correct, i downloaded Maverick from the Store. Would it help, if i just reinstalled the maverick.dmg, that i downloaded from the store?
QUOTE Thanks
Toby80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Mavericks is only available from Apple and does not come or download as a .dmg. So where did you get Mavericks from?
Well it is called InstallESD.dmg and it is in the SharedSupport folder. But it is from the Maverick download.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby80 View Post
Well i testet my HD with Smart Utility and it says my HD is just fine.
Otherwise my system seems to be running fine, so i don't think ist a HD problem.

Could it be a Virus, Malware etc. ?
In your 2nd post above you said that "Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system."

You still haven't told us what's obvisously not right with the system...what is going on??

Testing the HD with "Smart Utility"...and finding out that the HD is just fine...is telling me there is NOT a problem. AND you said above..."otherwise my system seems to be running fine"

I'm not hearing/seeing anything unusual or negative in your posts regarding what's "obviously not right with the system".

So I personally do not understand why you are trying to reinstall Mavericks??? Confused. Be specific...what is obviously not right?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, just wanted to be sure you had the right download. You can re-download and install Mavericks again if you choose to do so. Just access the Mac App store and select Purchased. You should see Mavericks available for download again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built in audio not working | Need Help Upgrading MacBook Air to Mavericks »