New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disk Utility stuck on "skipping"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pagan11460

pagan11460 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am trying to sell an old Mac Pro from 2006. I inserted the install CD and restarted the computer while folding down the "c" key. Then I used Disk Utility to conduct a 7-pass wipe of the old files. It took several hours but it seemed to go well. But my husband wanted me to erase the free disk space so... I ran Disk Utility again but this time, I selected "Erase Free Space." That's when the "fun" began. It took hours and hours. Two days later, I started searching online for a solution. There are so many people referencing a similar situation to mine but for the most part, there all saying that - after it was completed - they ended up with no disk space. I didn't want to end up with that problem. I made a call to a company who buys used Macs. The man told me to click on "skip." That was two days ago. It's still skipping. I think I'll need to force quit it. But... then what? Will my computer restart? Can I start it up again from the install CD? This computer is sitting in my living room, of all places, and I need to get it out of there. Can someone tell me... should I force quit Disk Utility? And what should I do next? I'd really appreciate a quick response. (And to answer this possible question in advance, no... I don't have a back up of this computer saved anywhere because I didn't care about the files on it and I didn't think that I'd need it.)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First off, there was no reason to erase the free space separately as the 7 pass wipe already writes to the entire drive/partition - there is nothing left.

Just quit it and restart from the boot disc.

You should re-partition the drive vs just formatting the existing partition prior to re-installing the OS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 03-14-2014 at 07:52 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
pagan11460

pagan11460 is on a distinguished road

Hi Bob,

I was able to figure it out. I found something online that said exactly what you said above about not needing to erase the disk space. So I quit the program and I was able to install the operating software. So I didn't do any partitioning because I've never done that before and didn't want to learn how on a computer that I'm trying to sell. Ha! But thanks so much for your help. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I wasn't around much this weekend to get back to you but I appreciate your reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help Upgrading MacBook Air to Mavericks | Uninstalling Mavericks? »