New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Turn off Cloud for Podcasts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newcoyote

newcoyote is on a distinguished road

Is this the right place to be asking this? I would like to do something that should be very simple but I can not figure it out. I want to dispense with anything cloud for podcasts. Period. I do not want cloud. At ALL. Ever since damn cloud has been around I have had nothing but headache trying to simply subscribe to a list of podcasts, manually download them and sync them to my iPod. I want to have them on my HD and/or on my iPad. Now I will think I have a podcast, plug my iPod in, go to work thinking my podcasts are all ready to go but no. Turns out they did not sync. So how do I permanently get rid of cloud? Please do not try to convince me of clouds virtues. Thank you if you can help me with this.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Downloading podcasts and syncing to your iPod has nothing to do with 'cloud' so I'm a little confused by what the actual issue is?

Can you go through the steps you take from selecting a podcast to trying to play it on your iPod. That would help determine at what point it's failing

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
newcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Downloading podcasts and syncing to your iPod has nothing to do with 'cloud' so I'm a little confused by what the actual issue is?

Can you go through the steps you take from selecting a podcast to trying to play it on your iPod. That would help determine at what point it's failing
Apparently you have to "download" twice. So for example, I have my list of podcasts I subscribe to. I manually hit the refresh so I can see what podcasts are new as they DL. It used to be I could just then sync my iPod and that was it. Now I would go through all that but there is the little cloud icon next to the episode. You have to click that too to actually get it on your HD otherwise it is on the cloud and won't sync.The problem I am having is it is very difficult to keep track of what is available and listened to or not. I just want it to be the way it used to be without a bunch of steps that complicate things.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is no need to download twice.

Only my best guess since you're not giving us the exact steps you go through - prior to syncing with your iPod, you need to go to the "Podcasts" tab and checkmark it there to tell it to sync your already downloaded podcasts.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a step by step.... but here goes:

When you subscribe to a podcast you can change the settings re: how many are downloaded and kept, whether they are deleted etc.

Do you have it set to auto download? Assuming you have the latest version of iTunes - when in the podcast library - click settings top-right and check the settings, including the "defaults.."

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I feel the OP's pain. Something has changed in iTunes since Mavericks. Used to be if you subscribed to a podcast through iTunes, it synced down to the iPhone/iPod just fine, no problems. You could play them through the Music player just fine. But now, since the advent of the Podcast app, for some unknown reason, every so often a podcast downloaded through iTunes will show a cloud symbol to the right of the name in iTunes, indicating that it isn't downloaded (even if it is) and sometimes the length of the podcast is shown as "Continuous" even when it isn't. And when you download through iTunes and sync, then open Podcast, the podcast isn't there and has to be directly downloaded in Podcast. So, as the OP said, you end up downloading twice. I have searched all over for a solution, but came up empty. I want the podcasts on my MBP and on my iPhone, so I just go ahead and download twice. PITA, but it's what I have to do. I don't know if it's iTunes that is broken or IOS7, or Podcasts, or what, but the sync function that used to work just fine is now broken badly for podcasts.

EDIT: Strangely, there is a very similar problem I am having with iBooks and ebooks as well. They don't sync, with iTunes saying it cannot find the file, but the files are there on the MBP, iBooks can find them and the files are on the iPhone, and iBooks there can find them. They just won't sync. So I think the sync function has been messed with and is now unreliable as it was.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There was an update to iTunes yesterday. Did that fix the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I have Mavericks and the latest iTunes but just can't recreate the issue.

Can someone go step by step from selection and subscription to sync. Because I've tried with existing podcasts and subscribed to a new one but it downloads into iTunes and syncs and plays. No second download

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all

@mrplow, there are no steps to force a re-creation because it's random. I have trouble with Alastair Begg's "Truth for Life" podcasts if you want to try it.

@chscag, the update did not solve the ebook sync problem and I cannot force a podcast problem because it is random.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple has recently updated the Podcasts app so that you can now refresh podcasts by pulling down on the list of episodes. In case that helps anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

That might help, but the OP wanted to download podcasts manually to iTunes and then sync to the iPod. That's still problematical because of the random determination of iTunes that some podcasts aren't downloaded when they are. The problem appears in iTunes, so changing Podcasts isn't fixing iTunes. But it may make getting to the podcast itself easier, so that's a good thing. Maybe the OP can change his practice to fit Podcasts. I still want the podcasts on my MBP, so the iTunes issue is still there for me.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
newcoyote

Thank you to those trying to help but I still have not resolved this. I will try to explain my issue again more clearly and hopefully the thread bumps.

I have my list of podcasts I subscribe to in iTunes.

I hit the refresh and you can see the icon animation for each podcast refreshing and checking for new episodes.

If a new episode IS available, it will show in the list but with a little cloud icon. I have to expand each subscription to see if an episode with cloud icon has appeared.

If at this point I sync, these will NOT go on my iPod.
I first have to find what podcast has a new episode available, click the little cloud icon THEN it actually downloads(you can see the blue progress bar only now if you select "downloading").

The problem is I have a fair amount of subscriptions. I like to know what I have and when I get it. It used to be I just hit the refresh and when I selected "downloading" when it showed up, you could see all the new episodes downloading and their progress. I connected my iPod,they synced and that was it.

Now to see what is available, I have to manually expand EVERY podcast from the list, see if there is a cloud icon, click it then do the same for the next. I want to have the ability to hit refresh, see downloads as they happen, sync and go. Worked great for years now it's a headache.
I have iTunes 11.1.4, OS X 10.9.1 and a Gen 7 iPod Nano 1.0.3
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You never answered my question:
Do you have it set to auto download? Assuming you have the latest version of iTunes - when in the podcast library - click settings top-right and check the settings, including the "defaults.."

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

mrplow, I have exactly the same problem as newcoyote, and there is no "Settings" on the top right in podcast library. However there is a Settings in the lower left corner, and there I have selected to automatically download the Most Recent Episode of each podcast.
Here is one of my podcasts in the library. This is from a podcast of my church's sermons. As you can see, there are items that have been downloaded already that are showing with duplicates with the cloud symbol beside them. If I click on the cloud, it downloads a second copy, then the next time I open iTunes, a THIRD one shows with the cloud. The second image is my Settings so you can see that I've selected to download the Most Recent Episode automatically, but it doesn't download until I click the cloud symbol, just like new coyote.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Looks like links to Dropbox don't work. You'll have to take my word for it.

EDIT: Right click and then you can open the image in another tab or window. Don't know why they aren't opening in the post itself.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need to clean/organize - running slow | Macbook Air difficulty waking up. »