New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Printer driver problems Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raybird

Raybird is on a distinguished road

Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 Following problems with my printer (Samsung CLP-310), removed them from the preference panel. I cannot now re-install any drivers : Apple - Samsung Printer Drivers v2.6 for OS X, nor from the Samsung website. The installations are apparently successful but the preferences do not find them.

Any advice gratefully received.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try completely removing the printer and drivers. Do a Spotlight search if necessary to find the drivers and remove them. Then install the printer just as if it were a new one and see if it works with the built in OS X drivers (if any). If a driver is required, install the correct driver for Mavericks from the Samsung web site.
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

Thank you for your interest. I have already uninstalled, but curiously the Mac refuses to find the correct drivers, issuing various negative messages. I have installed the latest Samsung driver available (v2.6) and am waiting for some Apple support. Fingers are crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

Just spoke to Apple support in Atlanta.. re-started the Mac and now have my printer working again... phew! However, I still have the original problem (see above). Thanks again for your interest....
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I'm confused. You said in the first post the problem was that you couldn't print. Now you can. So what is the "original problem" that you still have?

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

Sorry for the confusion. Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9 — the printer (Samsung CLP-310) options are not fully operational with "Pages” version 5.0 app, mail, notes, preview and contacts app : graphics, paper, about — are crossed out. However, Safari & Firefox print perfectly. Apple support tells me that a fix should arrive one day... and in the meantime Apple's Samsung all-purpose v2.6 driver (successfully downloaded) is not recognised by the printer.

Thanks for your interest.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all

Ah, that's totally different from missing drivers. I don't have a Samsung printer, so I can't help with the details, but do you mean that when, in Pages for example, you select File/Print the dialog box that opens is all greyed out? That's really odd.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

Not quite... Under the options headed "Layout"... Paper Handling... to Cover Page are fine, but graphics, paper, about — are literally crossed out.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Well, the only thing I can think of is that the driver for the printer under Mavericks doesn't support those options. That's a Samsung issue to fix.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

You are probably right. However, it is disappointing that the special drivers Apple issued in November 2013 have not addressed these options which are mysterliously available with Safari and Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Again as pointed out, that's a Samsung problem not Apple's. Printer drivers are supplied to Apple by the manufacturer. It works the same way in Windows and is not unique to Mac OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Samsung have yet to get around to Mavericks updates. Here was the latest and note nothing since late 2012. Had the same problem with Lexmark lagging behind and changed to an Epson.

CLP-310 - DOWNLOADS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Plus the fact that Samsung and Apple have not gotten along very well for the past 3 years or so. It's hard to figure out who is suing who? But at least they have decided on arbitration.

And don't even mention Lexmark.... they have to be the world's worse printer manufacturer. Even Dell stop purchasing from them.
QUOTE Thanks
Raybird

Greetings all... problem solved by Apple support in the USA. It was just a matter of binning all my drivers and plists etc. from the Samsung library and re-starting. Thank you, everyone, for your interest.
QUOTE Thanks
wsw

wsw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybird View Post
It was just a matter of binning all my drivers and plists etc. from the Samsung library and re-starting.
Can you explain what you did to 'bin' your drivers, etc. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« os 10.3.9 driver for seagate 1T backup plus? | iTunes ?? »