New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Freezing/freezing at boot - blue or gray screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Apfik

Apfik is on a distinguished road

Hello, I would like to ask for some help or comments on freezing problem of my macbook pro (early 2011), as I run out all of option I can think about.
Recently I have installed OS X 10.9 Mavericks and couple of days after that my mac start to freeze very often. It freeze at random moments, e.g. starting new program, opening new website (in Chrome, Firefox) , etc. It is not possible to do anything else then hard restart with power bottom. After this when I start macbook pro, it freeze while booting the OS. There is several version, first is that it freeze with completely gray screen, second is that there is gray screen with apple logo, and the last one, probably the most frequent is that there are vertical blue lines (you can see it on picture).
I tried to start it in safe mode, and it freeze as well, few times it successfully boot in safe mode but there is no pattern I can find, when it happens and when not. I also tried recovery (when pressing option key), again it freeze.
I also though that it could be some incompatibility of software so I formatted the hard-drive and make new fresh installation of OS X 10.9 (no time mashing backup), and it still freeze after the new installation of OS X.
I also run disk utility to check if hard-drive is ok, and there are no errors. When looking at System report and diagnostic it says PASSED with current date. When the macbook stay stay and I don't do with it anything it doesn't freeze. These are all my observation so far.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions to fix this problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (71.0 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

Do you still have you original installation dvd disks. If not had problems before with them then start fresh there. Your download maybe duff maybe or not compatible. Eliminate whether the machine isn't faulty first then do a fresh download of the updates second.
QUOTE Thanks
Apfik

I don't have the original CD as I got OS X Lion and it install from App Store. I have tried to make a bootable USB flash disk, but it always say that there is an error. I tried to do it with Lion DiskMaker as well thru Disk Utiliites, and both ended with some error.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Any chance you took out the three year AppleCare? No good telling now if not. May well be a logic/graphics problem alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Apfik

Luckely I have still valid AC and will contact them in tomorrow. I am also worried that it is HW issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot change incoming MacMail sound | AutoFill on Mac OSX 10.6.8 »