New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No browser favs or Mail accounts after backup restore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonzjob

Jonzjob is an unknown at this point

OK, I now have the new 750 gig HDD and extra RAM, 8 gig, and I have loaded Mavericks. I have also done the transfere of data/apps/etc from the CCC backup I took just before the clean instal.

When I opened Firefox I hoped to find all of my favorites still there? None are, is there any way I can recover them? I have the original HDD in an external HDD caddy, can I retrieve them from there?

Same thing with Mail, all of the Mailboxes are missing?

Am I just expecting too much?

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to Mavericks from 10.6.8 and all that stuff was retained. I lost nothing. But if you did a clean install I would expect you to lose everything, and have to reinstall from a backup (assuming you can, across different versions of OS X ... ?). Whatever, it's a function of the applications, not the OS. Firefox provides a facility to save and transfer favourites - my present installation on OS X copied all my favourites etc from Windows. I don't know about Apple Mail as I never use it, but Thunderbird (which I use on several different platforms) does provide the facility.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Sorry Peter, I should have explained. The new HDD had to have a clean instal and all of the original data was backed up using Carbon Copy Cloner wich should be able to dump all the applications from Mountain Lion onto the new HDD, or so I thought?

If push comes to shove I can always put the original HDD back in and it should just boot as it was. But I would rather try to get all the data across if I can?

Any ideas please

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Read this url. Go to the backup and get the file and put it in the same place on the new install. Let us know if that works.

iClarified - Mac OS X - How to Backup Your Firefox Bookmarks

I would move that whole folder over to the new install and that way Firefox should be like before you left it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

When you transferred your data from the backup drive, how did you go about doing it?

The right way is to "transfer from another Mac" when prompted at the last stage of the Mavericks install. This pulls all of the needed files and puts them in the correct places. I've yet to have a failed port using this method.

If you want to try it now, hit Command + Space to invoke Spotlight, in the field, type Migration Assistant and step through the process - pointing it to your external.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Good suggestion CWA. That should work.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

The original transfere was done as you said CWA and the transfere from another Mac using CCC as the source.

I tried using Spotlight and Migration Assistant using the CCC disk as the source, but still no joy, so I tried again using the old 250 gig disk that I have removed with all of the old data on it. I still don't have any of the bookmarks, e-mails or addresses?

I think that if I ever fell into a bucket of roses I would come up smelling of the muck they were grown in I think that I will give up for the night as I am getting too tired to concentrate. Thank you for you help guys. I'll get there???

John.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Did you try pointing Migration Assistant to that original 250GB drive that used to be in the machine? Just making sure. That should have worked.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you try pointing Migration Assistant to that original 250GB drive that used to be in the machine? Just making sure. That should have worked.
Yes DT and had the same result. I also tried your link '
iClarified - Mac OS X - How to Backup Your Firefox Bookmarks' and copy/pasted '~.Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/' and it told me that the folder can't be found'.

I have had a look to find the Application Support folder on the old 250gig HDD and the only thing in there is Adobe

I can't see the App Support folder at all on the new HDD so I guess it's hidden?

John.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post

I have had a look to find the Application Support folder on the old 250gig HDD and the only thing in there is Adobe

I can't see the App Support folder at all on the new HDD so I guess it's hidden?
You're in the wrong place. You're in the Shared folder. You need to be in your old user folder. Open Terminal and type:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
This should show the Library folder. Now look in Application Support/Firefox. If it's not there, something went wrong with the backup.
Edit: If you're running Maverick, right-click on the finder window, select Show View Options, check the box that says Show Library.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since this was getting way off the topic of the original thread and getting lost in multiple pages, moved the above content to it's own thread.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

I found a Firefox link that does the job https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...up-or-transfer

That was after I tried your methods CR. It came up with the same content. Still no Firefox anywhere in the App Support.

I am running Mavericks, but when I bring up the Show Options window there isn't a Show Library option?

John.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Use Cradom's terminal command to make the ~/Library visible. You're still not looking at the proper Library.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If that doesn't work for an external drive, do a show hidden files to see it.
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
When you're finished, do the same command but end it with FALSE to hide the files again.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

You are looking in the wrong library. Just woke up. Will find it and post back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« backing up just music files onto a Synology NAS | Shared links in Safari 7 on Mavericks »