New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing OS X Mavericks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RodAgron

RodAgron is on a distinguished road

Hi, I wanted a clean-install for OS X Mavericks so this is what I did:
1. I turned on my MacBook and held the option key until the boot selection menu appeared.
2. I clicked on the 'Recovery' one and erased the Macintosh HD data.
3. Then, I went back to the OS X Utilities menu and I chose the Install OS X option.
4. Finally, I accepted and agreed on everything and the download for OS X Mavericks started.
Now, the download has been runnning for about 30 minutes, and it says ' 22 hours and 59 minutes remaining'. Why is taking so long? PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

We have no idea why it's taking so long? Perhaps you're on a slow connection? The Mavericks download is around 5.6 GB and if the Apple servers are busy the download may be very slow.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Just a related question, i.e. how to decide on upgrading to Mavericks - does one need to just go from a previous OS X or does one do a 'clean' install?

In the spring of this year, I bought an iMac & a MBPro w/ Mountain Lion which is currently up to date - do I need to really delete these OSs and do a clean install, or can I simply do an upgrade? I'm sure that others are in this same 'mind set' on this issue - thanks for comments and suggestions - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I went direct from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, no problems whatsoever. I would try a direct update first. If you run into problems, you can always do a clean install later. I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to make backups first and to create a Mavericks installer flash drive before doing the actual update.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I went direct from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, no problems whatsoever. I would try a direct update first. If you run into problems, you can always do a clean install later. I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to make backups first and to create a Mavericks installer flash drive before doing the actual update.
Ditto for me. That is what I did and it went incredibly smooth. No problems at all.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Thanks Chscag - that was my plan, i.e. TM backup plus a secondary backup - then create an installer flash drive (as I believe you & others have suggested) and then just to the upgrade to Mavericks - thanks. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS8.0

What is a Mavericks installer flash drive? Is everyone enjoying Mavericks or should I wait to install? What is a "Clean Install"?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Going smoothly for me on both of my Macs.

I went the simple "upgrade" route on my late 2012 iMac. It's barely 10 months old and I had no concerns about a clean install.

However, I did do a clean install on my mid-2008 MBP because of its age and also I've never actually run iDefrag or Onyx on it. The last clean install on it was SL. Since then I've just done the upgrade Mac App Store downloads. I can't honestly say that doing a clean install has actually made any noticeable improvements, but I feel better in the back of my mind knowing it was done that way.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Quote:
Now, the download has been runnning for about 30 minutes, and it says ' 22 hours and 59 minutes remaining'. Why is taking so long?
No Idea Mine took a total of one hour twenty, and that included updating Pages, Numbers Keynote, iMovie etc after the install.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
What is a Mavericks installer flash drive? Is everyone enjoying Mavericks or should I wait to install? What is a "Clean Install"?
Hi SweetPea - I still have not done the Mavericks upgrades on my fairly new Mac computers - as stated before, I'll just update from the Apple app download after doing the backups and making a bootable USB drive - check out this Thread for some discussion and also links explaining the process; also a nice discussion HERE about a 'clean' install - hope this helps. Dave

P.S. A 'clean install' means booting from the Mavericks USB flash drive - this will erase your computer's HD and install a 'fresh' copy of Mavericks; you will then need to use your backup options (e.g. Time Machine) to restore your other software to the HD - at least that is my understanding. NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process -
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Going just great on a 2012 iMac. If your Mac, whatever it is, is newer than say 2011 and works well, do the upgrade after burning to a USB thumb drive. If otherwise, still make thumb drive, boot from it, erase and format the drive after backing everything up, and then run the Installer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS8.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi SweetPea - I still have not done the Mavericks upgrades on my fairly new Mac computers - as stated before, I'll just update from the Apple app download after doing the backups and making a bootable USB drive - check out this Thread for some discussion and also links explaining the process; also a nice discussion HERE about a 'clean' install - hope this helps. Dave

P.S. A 'clean install' means booting from the Mavericks USB flash drive - this will erase your computer's HD and install a 'fresh' copy of Mavericks; you will then need to use your backup options (e.g. Time Machine) to restore your other software to the HD - at least that is my understanding. NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process -
Thanks for the information, I'll dig into what you've suggested and get it done.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Going just great on a 2012 iMac. If your Mac, whatever it is, is newer than say 2011 and works well, do the upgrade after burning to a USB thumb drive. If otherwise, still make thumb drive, boot from it, erase and format the drive after backing everything up, and then run the Installer.
Hi Harry & Other Experts Here - my Macs are just 6 months old, so simple 'upgrading' (vs. no need for a 'clean' install) to Mavericks would seem to be my best and simplest choice; in my last post on this thread I added a P.S. partly quoted below - my question is WHY make a 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick in this situation - my only thought is that if the upgrade does not work, I might want to have this bootable USB flash drive? I'm sure there are many of us recent Mac converters running Mountain Lion and just want the quickest and easiest way to upgrade to Mavericks - thanks for any comments. Dave

Quote:
NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process -
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

RadDave the reason for the USB thumb drive is simple. In rural Australia limited ADSL with limited monthly capacity. Mavericks uses 60% of my monthly allocation. Also with Lion and Mountain Lion when running on a laptop, it was found after upgrading, a clean install often produced a faster more stable result.

When OS X.7, OS X.8 and OS X.9 were downloaded, if no thumb drive made before the Installer was run, it does require downloading again should there be any install or hard drive problems.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

Personally think the bootable thumb drive is a must, will just add for those who have never done this that once you have made it the only way your Mac will see it is if you plug it in prior to booting. If you insert it after boot Finder will not see it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« removing user from iMac | File management (sort of) »