New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading from leopard to mavericks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cannon11

cannon11 is on a distinguished road

Ok. so my brother has snow leopard, and I have mountain lion. If my brother upgrades from leopard to mavericks, will all of the stuff he didn't get from mountain lion add onto mavericks? Like if he updated from leopard to maverick and I updated from mountain lion to mavericks, Would we have the same software? Or would you have to download mountain lion first and then mavericks to have everything? Do you know what I mean?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon11 View Post
Ok. so my brother has snow leopard, and I have mountain lion. If my brother upgrades from leopard to mavericks...
According to your post...your brother has Snow Leopard not "Leopard".

Leopard = OS 10.5
Snow Leopard = OS 10.6

So does your brother have Leopard or Snow Leopard installed currently?

Secondly...what exact model Macintosh computer does your brother have? It may not even be capable of running Mavericks.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cannon11

1. he has a 2010 macbook pro, with snow leopard 10.5 installed. I'm just wondering, if he upgrades from snow leopard to mavericks, will he also get everything that was included in mountain lion because he would go from snow leopard to mavericks and be skipping mountain lion?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Still wrong.

Leopard is OS X.5 and Snow Leopard is OS X.6. If his MBP is capable of running Mavericks and he has OS X.6.8 and an Apple ID, he will have all he needs in the update.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cannon11

Nobody is answering my question, the Question is
If he is running snow leopard, and goes right to maverick, skipping mountain lion, is everything that he would've gotten from mountain lion also included in maverick? Or must you download mountain lion and then maverick to get everything included?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nobody is answering my question...
What you don't understand is...you have mentioned that your brother is running Leopard, Snow Leopard...and OS 10.5. We NEED to know if this computer in question is running OS 10.5 or 10.6?

If it is running 10.5...then you/he will not be able to download anything. Because in order to do any OS downloading...you need at least OS 10.6.6 installed to have the "Mac App Store".

No "Mac App Store" = no OS downloading.

- Nick

p.s.
Quote:
...with snow leopard 10.5 installed.
Snow Leopard is NOT OS 10.5!!!

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cannon11

ok, yes it is snow leopard, and I'm 95% sure it is at 10.6.6 or above
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ok, yes it is snow leopard, and I'm 95% sure it is at 10.6.6 or above
Ok...assuming this...I must mention one thing. When Apple releases a new OS upgrade...usually most features remain...and sometimes some features may disappear.

So when you ask..."If Mavericks is downloaded/upgraded to directly...will it contain everything from Mountain Lion?" My answer is...most likely most of the features from Mountain Lion will still be part of Mavericks. But there is always the small possibility that some features from Mountain Lion may have been replaced with newer features from Mavericks.

In your brother's case (since his computer is running Snow Leopard). Since he never had Mountain Lion installed...he would not miss any Mountain Lion specific features...since he never had it installed.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Whether you upgrade a machine from Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion to Mavericks...

None of then will any longer have Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion.
It will be running Mavericks.

Anything that one of those prior operating systems have that is not in Mavericks will be gone upon upgrading to Mavericks.

Everything that is in Mavericks will be there no matter which of the prior operating systems the computer was running ("assuming" all hardware is compatible with all options).

There is no need (nor any reason) to do incremental upgrades to the OS. If you're going to install Mavericks, then install Mavericks.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Again he will have all he needs in the Mavericks upgrade.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade to Maverics? | Help with Maverick install error and getting back to previous start up disk »