New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

file management in ML

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ron45

ron45 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now

Hello I for one am not thrilled with ML. Finder help does not know what file management is. I used to be able to move a file from my desktop to a hard drive folder and not leave a copy on the desktop. Why do people want to disguise change as improvement? Probably a justification thing.

Also every time I drag a file to a location in a folder on the desktop to the main HD, in addition to leaving a clone behind it returns the window to the very top. So there is a long scroll back to the location where I have to put other 6 files. There might be some mba/nerd reason for this behavior but it's making me crazy. I do not like inefficiency. I want to know what hoops I'm supposed to jump thru to MOVE A FILE not copy it. This should be the most basic activity in an operating system let the copy freaks use a modifier key. Did a comity write this OS? Of course it did if came from a corporation. It's jist biddniss!

Ron
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Hello I for one am not thrilled with ML. Finder help does not know what file management is. I used to be able to move a file from my desktop to a hard drive folder and not leave a copy on the desktop. Why do people want to disguise change as improvement? Probably a justification thing.
There has been no change in file management in at least the last three versions of OS X. Dragging a file from one spot to another spot *on the same drive* moves the file, dragging a file from one spot on Drive A to a spot on Drive B *copies* the file. This is not new.

Quote:
Also every time I drag a file to a location in a folder on the desktop to the main HD, in addition to leaving a clone behind it returns the window to the very top.
This makes me think that perhaps the problem is with your mousing skill. If you drag a file and "hover" over a folder, the folder will open (this feature was first introduced in OS 9 back in the 90s, btw). You can turn this off in Finder preferences if you want.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tunnelblick v3.3.0 problem in MAC OS 10.8.5 | iCloud eBook sync? »