Trouble connecting to wifi
    Hello - my macbook pro (10.7.5) will not connect to my home wireless. It connects fine at my work and through other wifi connections. At home, it assigns an IP of 169.254.xx.xx to itself and won't connect (which I understand means it's not properly connecting to my modem). I have a macbook air (10.8.4) that connects to wifi at home with no problems. I have tried resetting my router, powering down both devices several times, resetting the DHCP... nothing works. I've even tried forcing it with manual assigned DHCP. The macbook pro connects at home when I plug it into ethernet. The modem is a Motorola Netopia, model #3347-02. Any ideas?

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Perhaps a failed Airport card. What does Apple System Profiler (about this Mac) say about the card?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Turns out the router's settings were on WEP security. Once changed to WPA2, it was corrected. I have no idea why that made the difference.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I can answer that one. Apple no longer supports WEP at all because it is the same as having no security, it is so easily cracked. Congrats to you for figuring out the problem yourself!

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    That use to be one of the first suggestions we made a few years ago. This has been an issue with WEP and Macs since about '07. I've gotten to the point of thinking everyone has changed to WPA2 by now and forget about it.

Back to top of the list it goes, especially when we see issues of connecting only in one location like this.
    And thanks for reporting back your fix - we appreciate that.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    @ OP Kudos for figuring that out so quickly. Never even crossed my mind as a possible source of the problem. It should have though. I had the same problem as the OP a few years ago when Apple first made the change. Drove me nuts for a few weeks trying to figure out the fix.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information