New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

why download speed with MAC is very slower than Win ?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jingol

Jingol is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone

I bought MBP newly very interesting Compared with PC

but

I am disappoint when see download speed at Macbook Pro Compared with old PC

download speed with

SAME Download link
SAME Internet Connection
SAME Time

at PC (windows 8) is 150KB/S but download speed with MBP ( OSX 10.8.2) isn't more 12KB/S !!

why ?

( system directly to modem by an Ethernet cable )

I search at Internet my Problem and saw many MAC user have my issue

Please Google "slow download speed mac "

see this discussion

Slow Download Speed on macbook pro

Slow download speeds?

why Apple Support don't refer any solution ?

what do I must do ?

for download use PC?!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What are you trying to download and what are you downloading it with (a browser, download manager, etc.)? Have you tried using something else or downloading a different file?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Jingol

hi

I downloaded
http://www.roboform.com/dist/roboform-mac.dmg
by Safari and Opera

Just download single file
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you tried any other file? Is your normal daily browsing experience also considerably slower?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I just tried the file and am getting my full internet speed in the download which is around 200k a second where I now live.

I just tried both my iMac with 10.8.4 and Windows 7 machine with that file and the same speed on both.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Since you are going wired, not sure what the issue is. Answer Vans question if you would. That is a very large difference. I can see a few k here and there per second but not that much.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If both computers are connected at the same time (each has their own ethernet cable), then try swapping cables. I doubt the cable is the problem, but you may as well rule it out.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Downloaded at just under 2,000 KB/s on my iMac over WiFi. You might want to do some tests against speedtest.net on both of your machines to ensure that they are seeing the same upload/download speeds..

Also, are you using 100 MBit or 1 GBit Ethernet connection?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

I ditched out my Windows laptop (running Vista, yeah I know!) in october 2012 while being on a 120 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up connection. When I got my Macbook Pro (mid 2012) I did not notice my Mac was slower. On the contrary at times it feels my Mac is actually faster (but that could be my imagination). In my case both of them were connected to the same wireless router (cisco), and not even in Windows I was using a firewall or virus scan.

Below the current download speed using my provider's speedtest using my Macbook Pro

Not bad for just 11 EURO/month (or 6 EURO in case you take the tripple play package with TV/Telephony as well)
QUOTE Thanks
Jingol

Thanks for response

after upgrade to OS X v10.8.4 my problem resolved now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal | imac screen »