Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 8 GB OSX 10.8.5, iPad mini iOS 7, iPod Classic 160 GB
    Is it possible to get Lion without the Mountain?
    I went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and have had nothing but problems. After two full HD erased and re-installations, I just didn't run the Mountain Lion installation and my problems are gone.

What were the problems? Constant freezing (black screen) when trying to run ANY photo and video app like iPhoto, iMovie, Photobooth, and Pixelmator. There were more but that was the major problem.

I can live without ML, but I really liked Stickies because I was using a lot of them and always wished there were scroll bars. I restored the latest version from Time Machine but it won't run. I can't go back to using the old version now. They just don't work for me without scroll bars.

So how can I upgrade to just Lion (10.7.?) without the Mountain? Thanks.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7+, Numerous iPods, High Sierra
    Lion is no longer available for sale from the Mac App Store. Did you have Lion installed at one time? If you did, it's possible to download it again. However, you can go back to Snow Leopard if you still have your original installation disks.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    I think that if you call Apple via their 800 number...you can still get Lion.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Flash Storage, OS X.12.6.
    When you purchased Mountain Lion, did you make a USB flash drive using LionDiskMaker or similar prior to running the Installer? If so you can use the flash drive to boot from, erase the drive and do a clean install that way. Make sure you back up Snow Leopard first.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    I never had Lion. Like I said, I went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I'll try calling Apple.

Specs:
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Flash Storage, OS X.12.6.
    Never suggested you did alas. On laptops in particular, from noting here on the forums, upgrades do not seem as reliable as an erase and clean install using the USB thumb drive as suggested. May well be worth another try as ML is fast and rock solid.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Never suggested you did alas. On laptops in particular, from noting here on the forums, upgrades do not seem as reliable as an erase and clean install using the USB thumb drive as suggested. May well be worth another try as ML is fast and rock solid.
    Oops, that...
    Quote Originally Posted by 23Enigma View Post
    I never had Lion. Like I said, I went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I'll try calling Apple.
    was directed at chscag who said...
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Did you have Lion installed at one time?
    My bad. I'm back to quoting now.

No, I didn't "make a USB flash drive using LionDiskMaker or similar prior to running the Installer." But I will next time for sure.

I called Apple. First, I asked to get a copy of Lion and the man said I would have to purchase it for $20. So I asked for a refund for Mountain Lion and he handed me off to someone else. This lady gave me the refund and the purchase has already disappeared from my App Store purchases.

Now the funny thing is...

After she gave me the refund, I asked her if she had ever heard of the problems I was having. She said the same thing as you, harry, that ML was solid. AND THAT I HAVE 90 FREE ML SUPPORT WHICH I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT.

So she transferred me to someone at tech support and she said I would have to re-upgrade to ML and that they might be able to diagnose it and create a bug fix.

My latest questions are...

Will the ML file I downloaded even work now after I've been refunded for the ML purchase? I'm thinking that it won't.

OR

Should I stick to my original plan and just purchase LION and try that?

AND

What good does backing up Snow Leopard do other than back up my personal data? Because if I upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion, I can't go back to Snow Leopard without doing another clean install, can I?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by 23Enigma View Post
    I called Apple. First, I asked to get a copy of Lion and the man said I would have to purchase it for $20. So I asked for a refund for Mountain Lion and he handed me off to someone else. This lady gave me the refund and the purchase has already disappeared from my App Store purchases.
    I guess the bottom-line is:

- Did you get Lion?
    - Did you install it?
    - Is everything "good with the world"?

Since it seemed like this was your ultimate goal.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    I'm certain now that it's hardware related. Fresh/clean install of Snow Leopard and after 3 hours, crashes. Now I can't even boot from the SL DVD.

I've started a new thread to see where to go from here. Thanks.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...re-repair.html

Thread Information