New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

From 10.5.8 to 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP retina 13.3 2.6GHz i5, Macbook black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Hello all,

It's simple enough, I can still buy the disc from Apple (only 14 in the UK - bargain!)

So, I'm looking for all my old discs, so I can re-install Final Cut Express and Micro$oft Word etc etc. As you might guess, finding some, missing others.

These programs are pretty full of data/video etc..
Is there any way that I can use back-up/Time Machine to put these programs onto 10.6, if the discs don't turn up? I do have a record of all product keys, they were all legally purchased discs.

I know it's a long-shot, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, CB

Macbook black, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 500gbHDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8, using Firefox,Safari, Chrome
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you don't have all of your original discs and can't bare to lose your data. First back it up (either to Time Machine or SuperDuper), then rather than doing a clean install of 10.6 Snow Leopard, just upgrade to it from Leopard 10.5.8.

That way, all of your data is intact..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Cowbrain, let us know how the mOOOOve went.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Mac Specs: MBP retina 13.3 2.6GHz i5, Macbook black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Thanks Raz0rEdge. Nice to know. I'll give that a go. One of the FCE discs has turned up - but that's all. May pop back for a double check on method, when I get round to it. Thanks.

Will do, toMACash. Got to burn a few DVDs from some material on Final Cut, before I make the shift. But will let you know how it goes, when it goes. Thanks.

(PS. Before I logged in, I saw "THANKS" buttons on the posts - now they've disappeared. Did I imagine this?)

Macbook black, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 500gbHDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8, using Firefox,Safari, Chrome
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
If you don't have all of your original discs and can't bare to lose your data. First back it up (either to Time Machine or SuperDuper), then rather than doing a clean install of 10.6 Snow Leopard, just upgrade to it from Leopard 10.5.8.

That way, all of your data is intact..
Thanks, Raz0rEdge.
Disc is here - but that option doesn't seem available?
Install is my only option.
If I start the install, is there a stage where I am given the option to upgrade, rather than full install?

Thanks, CB

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Try this method cowbrain. Get an external drive and make a clone of your mac's internal drive onto the external using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper.

Boot your Mac from this external drive and then install Snow Leopard onto it. When your happy that all your Applications are there and working OK, then you can reboot your Mac from the internal drive and then either clone back from the external to the internal, or just go for it and install Snow Leopard on your internal drive(quicker),safe in the knowledge that you have the clone as a backup.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Thanks, MightyGem.
That sounds excellent.

I'm putting off the install, while I have one last look around for my original discs (for Final Cut and Word for Mac)
If I can find these, then I'd be prepared to do a full install and then install FCE and WfM.
All the other data is already backed up with Time Machine on an external hdd.
If I don't find the discs, then I'm going to give your suggestion a go.

Thanks, again. It's much appreciated.
All the best, CB

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I do have a record of all product keys, they were all legally purchased discs.
If you can't find your original disks but have the product keys, just look for a trial version of the software, download it, and then apply your product key to the trial version to make it legal. I know you can do that with Mac Word at least.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you can't find your original disks but have the product keys, just look for a trial version of the software, download it, and then apply your product key to the trial version to make it legal. I know you can do that with Mac Word at least.
Thanks, chscag. That's excellent thinking.
Yes, I have the product keys.

I've found the FCE discs, so it's just the Word disc that's missing.

Between your suggestion and MightyGem's idea, I feel about ready to go.
Busy today, but may get the time to stick it on tonight.

Thanks again for all your help.
Deeply indebted.
All the best, CS

QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Well, well, well.
it now seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

I put the 10.6 disc in. Clicked the full install button. Took a couple of hours. Installed 10.6 - and kept everything! Didn't even have to install FCE and Word. They were already there for me, full of my current projects. Even the trash bin has it's old contents! (Must remember to take out the trash)
Updated to 10.6.8 and everything seems to be running perfectly.
(Except Safari is a bit wild and carefree and slow)
Unbelievably easy!

Thanks for all the help and advice from you all.
I wouldn't have done it without you.
Best regards, CB

Edited to add: Swapped from Safari to Chrome and it's all running nice and sweet.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software | remote management on home computers/devices »