New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Internet Tethering between Devices.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alex1497

Alex1497 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer internet FROM my computer TO my iPad, not the other way around. I just moved and one of my neighbors has unprotected internet connection and TimeWarner Cable isn't going to connect me until a few days. The iPad Mini's antenna is not as strong as the Mac so it is not able to find the network across the street. Is there a way that i can transfer the wifi im connected to from the computer to the ipad using a cable or something?
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Is that ethical...or legal even? Unless I am competely misinterpreting what you are asking, I don't think you will get much help on this forum with unethical or illegal activities.
QUOTE Thanks
Alex1497

I do have his permission for the moment so i would think so
QUOTE Thanks
Alex1497

Dogbreath, i think u might be missing the point. No rudeness. I have his permission even though it is unprotected. I dont think its illegal to connect to an unsecure wifi connection, but i dont know for sure. But all of this does not matter since i have his permission and as a kind act i will remind him to lock his internet when i have the chance to.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Then may I offer my most humble and sincerest apology. I did not know the whole story and therefore I should have asked before I assumed the worst. I apologize...Hopefully someone will be able to assist you with your quest.

But I must point out that I didn't "miss the point"...the point that you had permission was never revealed.
QUOTE Thanks
Alex1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Then may I offer my most humble and sincerest apology. I did not know the whole story and therefore I should have asked before I assumed the worst. I apologize...Hopefully someone will be able to assist you with your quest.

But I must point out that I didn't "miss the point"...the point that you had permission was never revealed.
I was not offended, thank you for your apology but i could see how the question was a bit awkward for the site. I guess no one helped me out hahaha but its alright, im already connected now and it was really just a quick question to see if it was possible. Thanks for your input!
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Alex... So we're good. I'm glad you're connected and hopefully everything is working like it should. Happy computing!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

It is possible to share internet connections, but I don't think you can do it how you asked. You can share an ethernet connection over wifi, and share a wifi connection over ethernet, but don't think you can share a wifi connection over wifi.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp issues installing Windoes 7 on iMac 27" (early 2013 model) | Cant install anything (security agent problem) »