New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My mac is slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I have a friend with Windows who LOVED to use so called CPU Accelerator apps. He always had slow downs. Uninstall that thing and see if that makes a difference. There is NO reason to use that on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

KushDragon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes...rebooting/restarting...same thing.

That "cpu speed accelerator" program IS a 3rd party program. A 3rd party program is a program not developed by the original vendor (Apple in this case). I'm not sure what this program does...but I'm pretty darn sure it is not needed. I would turn it off if possible...or uninstall it.

After doing this...restart the computer...and see if things get better.

- Nick
okay , so after doing the PRAM and SMC reset nothin has changed. The Kernel_task is at 300. i had also deleted that 3rd party program. So what now? is This impossible to fix?
am i suck with a slow *** mac?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did I see you say earlier you did a total reinstall and it's still at 300+??
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did I see you say earlier you did a total reinstall and it's still at 300+??
yeah originally this macbook is preowned, so i erased the hard drive and reinstalled the IOS.
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
I have a friend with Windows who LOVED to use so called CPU Accelerator apps. He always had slow downs. Uninstall that thing and see if that makes a difference. There is NO reason to use that on your Mac.
I did uninstall it. and no change
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you had a chance to try logging in under a new user account. Simply create the account, reboot , and try running some tasks from there. Don't install any login items. How does the machine perform then?

How didi you uninstall it? I have been trying to track down instructions just in case something was left behind. Many program like this will leave bits and pieces running in the background if you simply drag them to the trash and delete them.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Have you had a chance to try logging in under a new user account. Simply create the account, reboot , and try running some tasks from there. Don't install any login items. How does the machine perform then?

How didi you uninstall it? I have been trying to track down instructions just in case something was left behind. Many program like this will leave bits and pieces running in the background if you simply drag them to the trash and delete them.
The new account was just as bad and I uninstalled it by dragging any or all files related to the program xD I only got the "Cpu speed accelerator" because of the kernal_task
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

So if you install a completely new OSX, The Kernel right out of the install is 300+ CPU?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KushDragon View Post
I only got the "Cpu speed accelerator" because of the kernal_task
Do you mean that the kernel_task numbers were that high (or near that) before installing CPU Speed Accelerator?

Unless I looked up the wrong program their site says the program can be uninstalled by dragging it to the trash as you did. I just can't shake the feeling that there isn't some low level extension or other file that got left behind.

Bear with us in figuring this out. If you are not running games and anything more than web browsing produces the numbers in that screenshot something is definitely out of whack.

QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
So if you install a completely new OSX, The Kernel right out of the install is 300+ CPU?
yeah -_-
should i go to apple?
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Do you mean that the kernel_task numbers were that high (or near that) before installing CPU Speed Accelerator?

Unless I looked up the wrong program their site says the program can be uninstalled by dragging it to the trash as you did. I just can't shake the feeling that there isn't some low level extension or other file that got left behind.

Bear with us in figuring this out. If you are not running games and anything more than web browsing produces the numbers in that screenshot something is definitely out of whack.
Yeah the kernel_task numbers were pretty much the same before the cpu speed accelerator. I only web browse because anything else laggs too much. Should i go to apple about this?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Hey guys, could a bad/failing drive be contributing to the problem here? Kinda doubt it would be that big a problem but worth asking the question.

@KushDragon when you did the clean install was the OS a download from the Apple store or was it "cloned" from another Mac / earlier installation?

I'd certainly think about a trip to them. Do you have any AppleCare left?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
yeah -_-
should i go to apple?
Here's one more thought...

Initially we've been focusing on software/OS related issues that could be causing the excessive cpu drain (kernel task). We've explored quite a bit...with no solutions. It's possible that it's a hardware issue.

I purchased a used 2010 MacBook Pro (MBP) about a year+ ago...and I had the exact same issue (kernel task using way too much cpu resources). I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread...and I also could not find a solution.

The one problem/symptom that my MBP had that was wasn't mentioned so far in this thread...was the fan on my MBP was always running at top speed (very loud). I ended up taking it to the Apple Store (it luckily still had Applecare remaining on it)...and the problem turned out to be a defective fan (which Apple replaced).

So given everything that we've tried so far...it may turn out that you have a hardware problem...and if it is a hardware problem...heading to the Apple Store to have it diagnosed might be a good next step.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
KushDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Here's one more thought...

Initially we've been focusing on software/OS related issues that could be causing the excessive cpu drain (kernel task). We've explored quite a bit...with no solutions. It's possible that it's a hardware issue.

I purchased a used 2010 MacBook Pro (MBP) about a year+ ago...and I had the exact same issue (kernel task using way too much cpu resources). I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread...and I also could not find a solution.

The one problem/symptom that my MBP had that was wasn't mentioned so far in this thread...was the fan on my MBP was always running at top speed (very loud). I ended up taking it to the Apple Store (it luckily still had Applecare remaining on it)...and the problem turned out to be a defective fan (which Apple replaced).

So given everything that we've tried so far...it may turn out that you have a hardware problem...and if it is a hardware problem...heading to the Apple Store to have it diagnosed might be a good next step.

- Nick
Yeah I've research this Kernel_task problem and they all mostly seem hardware related. Unfortunately, i dont have applecare. Would They still replace the parts? Ive actually never went to apple about a macbok problem. I also dont think its my fan, because its isnt at all loud.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Would They still replace the parts? Ive actually never went to apple about a macbok problem.
Sure the Apple folks will replace the part/parts...you'll just get charged for it since you don't have Applecare remaining. Of course they will diagnose it first...find out what is wrong (or what they think is wrong)...then give you an estimate on what it's going to cost. Then you decide.

Quote:
I also dont think its my fan, because its isnt at all loud.
I only mentioned my fan issue as a example. I'm sure there are multiple hardware issues that can cause this kernel task problem.

If you do head to Apple to have things checked...please let us know how things turn out. I'm curious...and would like to see what they come up with.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« shy external hard drive hides on me?? | separate windows open in osx, one for reference one for input »