New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mountain Lion - Icons for each "Desktop"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jman995x

jman995x is on a distinguished road

I run multiple "desktops" on Mountain Lion.
However, I like to keep similar programs on the same desktop.
When I do the 4-finger-upsweep on my trackpad and the current desktop minimizes and shows all of the other desktops along the top border...it's sort of hard to see what's what in the other desktops.

So, my question is...is there a way to superimpose an avatar/icon on the desktop snapshots (like the "X" logo in the Dock for Microsoft's Excel, or the "W" in the Dock for Word, etc?).....so if you wanted to keep all of your Excel windows on one desktop and your Word docs on another desktop, Photoshop on a third desktop, Illustrator on a 4th desktop, etc., etc. you could put an avatar/icon on that desktop snapshot on the top border to give you a quick reference for what is on that desktop.

Any thoughts on how I might accomplish this?

J.

P.S. Obviously when you clicked on the Desktop you wanted to switch to, the avatar/icon in the snapshot would disappear so as not to be visible when the newly-chosen desktop is full-size.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If what i think your talking about, try this.

If you have those Apps in your Dock, Control/Click on the Icon or 2 Finger Tap to bring up its contextual menu and then goto 'Option' Then 'Assign to' This Desktop or All Desktops, then when you click on that Dock Icon, those certain Apps will always open in the Desktops you chose

HTH if this is what your looking for

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You could just have a different desktop wallpaper for each space. Associate a background with each app.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
jman995x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
If what i think your talking about, try this.

If you have those Apps in your Dock, Control/Click on the Icon or 2 Finger Tap to bring up its contextual menu and then goto 'Option' Then 'Assign to' This Desktop or All Desktops, then when you click on that Dock Icon, those certain Apps will always open in the Desktops you chose

HTH if this is what your looking for
That might be a workaround. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jman995x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
You could just have a different desktop wallpaper for each space. Associate a background with each app.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too....however, if you have a bunch of windows open on a specific desktop, then you can't see the wallpaper.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to find the COM port number on macbook | Usage of RAM seems to have skyrocketed - help? »