How can I manage multiple-application windows independently?
    I am looking for an OSX utility that will manage multiple-application windows independently, rather than on a per-application basis. Right now with OSX, if I have a number of browser windows open (B1, B2, and B3), and a number of terminal windows open (T1, T2, and T3), ordered from front to back [B1, T1, B2, T2, B3, T3], and I minimize B1, window B2 will pop in front of T1. This is very annoying, and from a software development perspective, destructive to my work flow.

Does anyone know of a utility that would bring up window T1, vs B2? If not, would any OSX utility developers be willing to write it?

I'm fairly certain no such utility exists, and I doubt there's a developer interested in working out how to make one, assuming such a thing is possible.

If you have a Terminal window "paired" with a browser window, then a good alternative would be to put each pair in their own desktop using OS X's Spaces feature. That would completely solve that problem.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Are you opening all of the windows in full-screen or not? If yes, then the way you open them full screen is going to determine what gets showed when the upper-most application is minimized..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Can't this dilemma be solved by using Mission Control (or Spaces, if an older OS version)?

Not sure why my prior request was deleted, but if any developers are interested in working on this, please let me know. I have worked out some possible solutions, and just need the time and/or resources to devote to it.

Just as an fyi, the behavior is unique to the Mac. Both Linux and Windows treat window behavior, independent to the associated application. For people like me that work across many operating systems, its nice to have some level of consistency.

Thanks,
    Martin

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Did you not see some sort of solution to your problem above, like using Mission Control and have B1, T1 on one Desktop and B2, T2 on another desktop ?? Would that work for your and then a keyboard shortcut or gesture to move between them.

And again, i dont think there is a developer, especially here in M-F that would spend the time trying to make this possible. Maybe look at somewhere like dribbble.com/jobs/ for a Dev to help you
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Correct, I am not looking for a keyboard work around. Thanks for the dribble.com/jobs/ lead. Apparently, the site was acquired by Monster, though, and shut down.

If I don't get interest, I will post it on one of the contract sites, and/or write it myself.

Thanks again,
    Martin

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsommer View Post
    Correct, I am not looking for a keyboard work around. Thanks for the dribble.com/jobs/ lead. Apparently, the site was acquired by Monster, though, and shut down.

If I don't get interest, I will post it on one of the contract sites, and/or write it myself.

Thanks again,
    Martin
    Ooops sorry i forgot the extra b in the url so here it is.
    Its mainly for designers but there are a lot of Devs on there as well.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information