New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I Set Up Guest Account...lots of problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Hi Everybody . . .
I attempted to set up a Guest Account on my Mac Mini. I followed the instructions I got step by step from OSXDaily. It is causing lots of problems and conflicts and now I realize I do NOT want a Guest account on my Mac. I am the sole user and I would oversee anyone that wanted to use my computer. My desire is to completely get rid of the account and all traces it ever existed and restore my computer to where it was before I did this. I do not want to try and fix this Guest account...i want it GONE and everything restored to how it was before I did this. My Mac was running perfectly before I did this. When I try out the Guest account, all kinds of boxes pop up. Again, I do not wish to fix this Guest account, I would like to completely erase it and get my computer back to where it was before I did this. Thank you all in advance. I know you can help me!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

System Preferences > System > Users & Groups, highlight the Guest Account and hit the little (-) button. Then run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
When I try out the Guest account, all kinds of boxes pop up.
Sounds like Voiceover got turned on.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Maybe his cat used the guest account?
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

When I go to System Preferences>System, there is no Users and Groups. All there is is Account. When I open Accounts, I see my admin account and Guest. As you can see in the pictures I attached, I am logged into my account, the Guest account is highlighted, but the (-) is grayed out and it will not remove this Guest account. Am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

I messed up on the pictures. Here they are:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-08-04 at 9.24.04 AM.png (88.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-08-04 at 9.24.35 AM.png (62.9 KB, 27 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try unchecking the "Allow guests to log in to this computer".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Thank you all for the help. I did a little researching since I last posted. Since I am still using Snow Leopard, my OS will show System Preferences> System> Accounts. The Guest User account is put there by default by the Mac OS and cannot be deleted. I believe the boxes that kept popping up are all related to the Epson printer software, i.e EeventManager, Show Low Ink status, etc. I hope I didn't change any settings which will affect printing on my account. Time will tell. I decided to set up the Guest Account on a whim...I should have waited until I had plenty of time to do it and go through each item and think it through. I will let it rest for now and when I feel better about it, I will go back and set it up correctly and thoroughly. My biggest worry is that some of the choices I made about "Allow" and "Never Allow" and "Allow Once" have no impact on my account or future computer operation. Like I stated earlier, it has been running like a champ...I just thought I would configure a Guest Account.

Can CCC perform something like Windows System Restore with just the Accounts and Printer set up? TM?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Can CCC perform something like Windows System Restore with just the Accounts and Printer set up? TM?
Sure. Just boot from the CCC external drive and then selectively copy over what you want to the main drive. I've done that numerous times as it's actually more convenient and easier than using Time Machine.

A note of caution though... make sure you're not overwriting something that will whack out OS X. Do not overwrite system files or kexts!
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Maybe I should leave well enough alone for now. I have seen no ill effects of the Guest ccount gone bad...I have it disabled for now. Preview did crash once yesterday unexplained... that has never happened before. I wish I could leave stuff alone or it would be a piece of cake like the instructions make out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem Uploading Photos to my website | Making a document saved in Pages compatible with Microsoft Word »