New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

downloading mountian lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charisma

charisma is on a distinguished road

After purchasing Mountain Loin online. Can I copy it to a stick before loading it. so I can back up all my stuff?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm assuming that what you mean is that you want to make a backup of the installer so you don't have to re-download it. If that is the case you need Lion DiskMaker.

When you finish downloading the installer do not run it yet. That file gets deleted when the installation is completed and Lion Diskmaker needs it to create the boot disk,

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

I very much recommend doing just that, as it saves re-downloading again if for some reason you have to reinstall and the emergency partition is borked.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I mean I have a bunch of stuff to back up. Email, file and folders. etc. So can I download my new O/S now or wait till I back up everything first then download and install.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

You can download it and make the USB stick with Lion Diskmaker whenever you want. Install it after you make backups.
Like Sylvester said, download it but DO NOT RUN it yet. If it starts, quit it. Because after it installs, it will delete the installer and you wont be able to make the USB stick.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You could perform the installation without backing up. I've done it numerous times with no issues and no loss of data if that is what you're skiing. Best practice is that you should make a backup of any critical data before beginning the installation. OS X installers don't usually bork up your data but it can happen.

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

How do I back up my contacts in the email program and in the entourage email program.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

In Mail go to 'Message' and his 'Add Sender to Contacts'. Will then appear in the Contact Book in the Dock/Applications. Similar for Entourage.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
You could perform the installation without backing up. I've done it numerous times with no issues and no losd of data if that is what you're skiing. Best practice is that you should make a backup of any critical data before beginning the installation. OS X installers don't usually bork up your data but it can happen.
Past your bedtime Sly?

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisma View Post
How do I back up my contacts in the email program and in the entourage email program.
Your best bet is a CarbonCopyCloner or Time Machine backup of your user folder.
However both should allow you to export your contacts as VCF files which you can put on a USB stick or burn to cd. Look under File/Export.

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

Ok. So what I'm going to do is use time machine. My concern was to get back my emails and contacts, my entourage emails and contacts and all my book marks in opera. plus my settings in filezilla.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Past your bedtime Sly?
No. Just can't type worth a lick. Personally I blame it on the knock off keyboard. That's my story anyway.

@charisma If you use Time Machine it should back up these files without issues. The files you need are going to be stored in your "Home" user folder. I believe most of it is in the hidden Library folder.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is CleanMyMac worth getting? | Mountain Lion - Time Machine »