MacBook Pro will not turn on, noob needs help sorry in advance :/
    I just got back home from a deployment and I come to find out that my MacBook pro 13' will not turn on. (2010 model)

The charger light is green so the charger is working properly.

I pressed the battery indicator and the first single light blinks for 5 seconds which by what I have read means that it needs to be charged to a specific %age to turn on.

Well after a couple hours of charging it will not turn on and the indicator light continues to show the same indication.

I left the MacBook in working order in October 2012 , I'm
    guessing it died and after that it has yet to be plugged into the charger till now. Would not charging it since then do the battery any harm?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Apple advises if you're going to leave your MacBook or MacBook Pro idle for a long period of time, to charge the battery full and then discharge it to around 50% capacity and store it that way.

I can only guess that your battery condition is such that it will not charge, however, we can't be sure until you test it. Download the free coconutBattery 2.8 and see what it tells you about the battery.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    My first thought is the battery was allowed to go completely dead...and left in that condition for too long...which is not good for any rechargable battery.

Hopefully you be able to "revive" it...but if not...it may be new battery time.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I took it to geek squad and was told the mother board was bad, can this be a result of not being used?

I was told that since the light needs to be orange when charging that's one indication , or are they trying to sucker me?

Specs:
    I would be VERY leery of what the Geek Squad said. I don't know how the logic board could have gone bad just by leaving the machine in storage for 9 months or so. As Nick stated in his reply and also mine, check the battery first. Did the guys at Best Buy test your battery and MagSafe Adapter or did they just make an assumption that the logic board was bad?

If there is an Apple store nearby, I would take it there if you prefer not to troubleshoot it yourself. I do not personally trust Best Buy.

Ok well I am going to buy a battery and hope it works out. Have you guys had any good experiences with batteries other than apple brand?

I found this oem one if anyone can comment and say wether I should go for it or not I'd appreciate it, and I appreciate all of you that have replied and tried to help.

Amazon.com : Apple New OEM Original Genuine Apple Macbook Pro 13 inches A1278 2009 2010 2011 Battery A1322 020-6547-A 661-5585 661-5391 661-5229 661-5557 : Laptop Computer Batteries : Electronics

Specs:
    Amazon resellers are generally reliable. I purchase many items from them and have never been disappointed.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Unless there is some indication that the battery leaked or had other significant issues I can't see how a long period of inactivity would wreck the logic board. I might be inclined to get a new battery, charge it, then try booting again. Not exactly a cheap option but if it doesn't work and the logic board is bad you can always resell the battery.

Took me too long to type the post. You guys beat me to it. Gues I was spending too much time trying to hide the MOTM from the mods. lol
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Ok well I just bought said battery seems like a good deal for an oem battery, wish me luck fellas, and again I appreciate you all !

I'll post what happens when it arrives (fingers crossed) : /

Sooo I just tried my buddies charger for ****s and giggles and BAM picked up right where I left it last time I used it.
    Geek squad will be getting a very bad complaint from me.

Not only did I buy parts I didn't need but they misguided me on what I needed to do to get it fixed, it's official they are a bunch of scammers in my book.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Good to hear you got that sorted out. here's what I think I would do next just to satisfy myself that all is well.

1. When you are sure the battery has had sufficient time to fully charge run the battery down to the point where it indicates that it needs charging.

2. Now use your charger to charge the battery. If all is well Does the battery last a erasable time before needing a charge and charge in a reasonable time. If so both battery and charger are OK. If not try the battery you bought.

With a bit of troubleshooting and shifting things around you should be able to determine whether the battery and charger are OK, Even if they aren't that is much cheaper than a logic board replacement.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yes, I have a very low opinion of Geek Squad myself.

Thread Information