New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

External hard drive missing files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shelhancox

shelhancox is on a distinguished road

I have lost access to thousands of important documents which I had backed up on to an external hard drive.

I have a HGST Touro 1 TB portable drive which I re-formatted to use on my MacBook Pro. I then copied all my work folder data onto the portable drive, triple checked that the files were there and could open from the drive source. It was all fine. Then ejected the disk properly and gave my laptop to our technician who was re-formatting them for our new server upgrade. When I got the laptop back (now erased), I went to re-install my work documents, but the main folder was missing. Used Disk Utility to check the drive - it said that everything seemed fine. However, it did say that there are over 1,700 folders and over 6,000 documents taking up 39 GB space. This is considerably more stuff than is actually visible on the drive. The only thing left of my "Work" folder is an alias folder. I can't see a list of my files anywhere, but INFO says they are there.

Help!!! Would really appreciate some advice on how I can locate these files and retrieve them.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First thing.... stop using the hard drive. Download recovery software and use it from a bootable DVD or flash drive. Here are some suggestions (note: all are expensive)....

Data Rescue 3

Disk Warrior 4

Data Recovery Software Review
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

Misuse of the term "backup". This external disk is your primary store and you have no backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
First thing.... stop using the hard drive. Download recovery software and use it from a bootable DVD or flash drive. Here are some suggestions (note: all are expensive)....

Data Rescue 3

Disk Warrior 4

Data Recovery Software Review
A 4th option is Disk Drill. The nice thing about this one is you can use it to see if you have recoverable files before paying for it.

EDIT: Thinking about this a little more, I think DiskWarrior may be the best option here. We don't seem to be simply looking at deleted files, but a much deeper problem with the file system or directory. You can try screening for the missing files with Disk Drill, but you may need DiskWarrior to do a full volume rebuild.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

How did you backup the drive? Use cloning software at all?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
shelhancox

shelhancox is on a distinguished road

Thank you for some of the replies. Yes, I do realise that I have 'misused' the word backup because I made that my primary source. Not a tech, obviously.

No, I didn't use cloning software - I dragged and dropped the data into the external HDD.

No, I haven't used the drive since. Yep - my feeling is that this is directory related, not that the files are deleted. Somewhere they are occupying some space - I just don't know how to recover them.

Thanks for any constructive advice on this. I will investigate Disk Warrior.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Also have a read of this link on copying to an external:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Internet problems | Can't get My Passport external drive to work with my Imac »