New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

backing up osx mountain lion on a USB stick from a preinstalled copy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmacsurfer

newmacsurfer is on a distinguished road

Hi Mac users

I have recently bought a mini mac with a preloaded version of mountain lion.

Does anyone know how I can make a FULL back up of mountain lion on a usb stick in case I want to wipe my hardrive and reinstall osx 10.8. I have found info on the internet which tells me how to make a back up from an upgrade file downloaded from the apple store but this doesn't work for me as I have a preloaded copy.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

The time to make a USB thumb drive with ML installed is prior to running the Installer. The pre-loaded copy is not actually yours but belongs to the person who purchased it from the App Store. Lion and Mountain Lion are different in that the operating system always belongs to the App Store ID Account. In short his/her (the seller) download is his/hers and never yours. Mavericks OS X.9 is due out in a couple of months. If you purchase that after establishing an Apple ID and account, use LionDiskMaker to make the thumb drive before installing.

In the interim if you have problems you can access Mountain Lion Recovery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

@OP Even if the copy of Mountain Lion was pre-loaded on a Mac purchased from Apple a full backup of such an installation would take a fairly high capacity stick drive. I don't recall the exact size at the moment. Much easier to get a hard drive and use that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
newmacsurfer

newmacsurfer is on a distinguished road

Okay thanks guys. I don't like how Apple is making it really hard to get a back up version of the software but I can wait for the new version and just have the recovery tools on usb in the short term.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

They don't make it hard at all. You have Time Machine, which contains a full backup of your entire HD, you have a Recovery Partition that can restore your system, and if the HD goes south you have Internet Recovery of the system.

By my count that's three times more backups than most people have of their system, and likely to be at least one extra backup option beyond what most of us had pre-Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And if that is not sufficient cloning software such as SuperDuper is also available for cloning the drive to an external.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« coreaudiod progressively using more memory | mac flashing folder on startup cant find disk. »